Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get into ULF?

Re: How to get into ULF?

Quote Originally Posted by Dpatt711 View Post
    I'm looking to try and get into ULF, but don't have a lot of film camera experience. I'm pretty good at fabrication and have access to laser cutter, milling machine, and 3d printers.
    Is building my own camera a practical idea, and if so how much can I expect to spend?
    Building a ULF camera can be a very rewarding experience. It can also take a very long time and become more expensive than actually buying a new (old) one. You also have the problem that your interest in ULF may have evaporated by the time you are ready to take photographs!

I don't know if I have been especialy fortunate (easy access to the European and UK "Markets"), but I have been able to get hold of the following ULF format cameras (WITH Plate holders) during the last 10 years at prices averaging around 300€.

2 10x12" cameras
    2 24x30cm cameras ( and many more were available!)
    3 30x40cm cameras (approx. 12x16")
    2 12x15" cameras

These are all either UK type field cameras or tailboard travel cameras.

If you are interested in the sizes above 12x16", then self manufacture is probably the most economical way to do as recent commercial manufacture is (Necessarily!) very expensive. Perhaps Intrepid cameras could extend their range upwards?

Apart from these, there have been over 5 Studio Cameras which still had the original 24x30cm plate holders (Much planned use of ULF is for Portraits!)

I think a lot of people loose their way in making cameras and plate holders and never get round to making images and working with these images.

I built my 10x12 using extruded aluminum and wood scraps in my apartment. It's a tailboard design and way to heavy to be portable, but it has been a fine portrait camera. The largest expense was the bellows. I opted to have those custom made and they set me back roughly $250. It's not beautiful, but it does the job.

Building a ULF camera can be hard or as easy as a cardboard box loaded with one sheet of film in a darkroom, lens can be a pinhole or...

Look around our DIY sections for ideas

Here is a very difficult one, but obviously not impossible

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1433041
    Tin Can

Started out with buying a wooden 11x14 Burke & James Commercial view. Used it for maybe 10 years then took it apart, stripped the gray paint, and stained the wood. Looked like an almost new camera. Sold it to get a mint condition 11x14 Improved Empire State camera. Camera's wood was amazingly unfinished, as far as I could tell the camera was ever even used. Took it apart and stained the wood. Then sold it to partially pay for a new 11x14 Chamonix which I now use.

As for holders, acquired several 11x14 film holders from a State Surplus store for very little money. When my father was receiving radiation treatments, befriended the staff in the Radiology Department. Near the end of his treatments, one of the staff asked me if I wanted a bunch of their 8x10, 11x14, and 14x17 Medical film holders since they did not use them any more. Couldn't say "yes" and "thanks" fast enough. Ended up selling my collection of holders slowly, one or two at a time. Money from the sales went for purchasing 3 new 11x14 Chamonix holders.

Acquire, use, refinish, sell, and acquire again, use, refinish, and sell again. Saw an 14x17 Empire State view camera at an antiques dealer a few years ago. Was tempted to do the same with it but had already sold my 14x17 holders and now rather spend my time just shooting with my 11x14 instead of going through the whole acquire, use, refinish. etc. Bought the camera and sold it to acquire another lens for my 11x14.

Step one would seem to be either “win the lottery” or “inherit money.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Looks like we scared off the OP already! I will say that if you want to get into ULF or LF for that matter you must have a passion for it or I think you are wasting your time and money. Commit to it, do the research and get to it. There is plenty of info out there or take advantage of the great deals to be had as well. I built my first camera, my 8x20 with nothing more than hand tools. A sander, dremel, drill and other assorted hand tools nothing fancy at all. The passion for it is what got it done.

Re: How to get into ULF? THE RIGHT WAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpatt711 View Post
    I'm looking to try and get into ULF, but don't have a lot of film camera experience. I'm pretty good at fabrication and have access to laser cutter, milling machine, and 3d printers.
    Is building my own camera a practical idea, and if so how much can I expect to spend?
    I would suggest finding an inexpensive 8"x10" set up and working with it for a few months(shoot, process your own film, make prints) before considering ULF. Smaller than 8"x10" won't, in my opinion, give you enough of a handle on what you'll be dealing with by going larger. The good news: there are a lot of 8x10 cameras and lenses available very affordably.
    Good Luck.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    I would suggest finding an inexpensive 8"x10" set up and working with it for a few months(shoot, process your own film, make prints) before considering ULF. Smaller than 8"x10" won't, in my opinion, give you enough of a handle on what you'll be dealing with by going larger. The good news: there are a lot of 8x10 cameras and lenses available very affordably.
    Good Luck.
    Great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Great advice.
    Very. I’d hate to know how much money I would have wasted if it were big film I was/am messing up. It was bad enough learning on 4x5 and 5x7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

So if I use Xray film I can do 5x7 @ $0.93 per, 14x17 @ $5.62 per incl. Processing. Is this worthwhile over actual photo film?