Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How to get into ULF?

Re: How to get into ULF?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    A lot of great comments but what happened to the OP? Did he get the information he/she needed? Did we scare them away? ULF is awesome to create with but you need to commit to it. There are ways to do it inexpensively with paper negatives and x-ray film but holders, cameras and tripods are where you will spend the money and do not want to go cheap. If you have minimal experience start with 8x10 and contact print. This is what I did. When I wanted a bigger print I then built a bigger camera and it went on and on from there. There has to be a real desire.... a passion for it or you are just wasting your time and money. Once you get those big negatives hit me up and I'll teach you how to make carbon prints!
    Still keeping up. I think I will start with X-ray just because I have it and can process it for free. I only have blue sensitive but I'm assuming I can switch between blue and green without changing physical equipment. The second thing I'm trying to decide on is size. I can get 5x7 at $0.97 per so I think I'll start there

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dpatt711 View Post
    Still keeping up. I think I will start with X-ray just because I have it and can process it for free. I only have blue sensitive but I'm assuming I can switch between blue and green without changing physical equipment. The second thing I'm trying to decide on is size. I can get 5x7 at $0.97 per so I think I'll start there
    Awesome. Glad we can help. Good idea to start small and go from there. Small for me is 8x10, makes a great contact print. Good luck.

Has anyone tried to create a ULF Afghan style box/instant camera? I mostly shoot landscapes and nature, but I'm thinking about spending time on portraits and still life. To that end I'm learning on 4x5 and 5x7 but thinking about 11x14.

I figure such a beast might have a 25" lens on it and need ~50" to the film plane to get to 1:1. So the overall box would be ~60" x 18" x 16" and have room for a developing trays inside. Focus using a rod to push/pull the film plane inside the box. This would be huge, so I'd transport it either in my van or on a bicycle trailer for shooting around town.

No bellows hassle, self-contained darkroom for "instant" paper prints, really simple to build, but it's kind of bulky. How crazy am I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dpatt711 View Post
    Is building my own camera a practical idea, and if so how much can I expect to spend?
    For some it can be the path to nirvana. For others, it's an ever-deepening rabbit hole.

Well 'Dpatt711', Will Whit has from memory some experience in using ULF Cameras, Jim Fitzgerald (also on here) makes his own and JB Harlin (who may not be on here) made some absolutely blinding Cameras for himself and his wife......................

Anyhow, it doesn't have to be beautiful, check out Chris McCaw's work and his images, his self builds are nicely rustic and I recall from an interview with him when 'View Camera' Mag was still going that he used parts from an 8 x 20 Korona, his work particularly in Platinum of the famly Farm in California was really really good. If you can access a Camera back with a couple of matching film holders then you're literally 'away, you can knock the rest up with a cardboard box if you want to......

So it's good luck from me in the UK

regards

Andrew

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

"Re: How to get into ULF? "

Just take the back off and crawl in!

Seriously, you folks should talk to the moderators about banning me from the forum...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

Seriously, you folks should talk to the moderators about banning me from the forum...
    Naw, then we wouldn’t get to see anymore Pixie photos.

Roger.

New Orleans, LA

The best and most effective way to get into ULF is to find some poor sap like me who thought he was going to be the next Art Sinsabaugh and offer him a few coins and the vague promise that his soul will finally find peace without the crushing financial and spiritual burden of feeding the ULF beast.

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    For some it can be the path to nirvana. For others, it's an ever-deepening rabbit hole.
    And there the small few for whom it's both!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

This is what I did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200102_194135.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	205638

No issues with film holders when you develop inside the camera.

It is not very portable though.