Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lightweight Camera System

joseph

New Lightweight Camera System

I’d like to introduce a design for a new lightweight multiple format field camera system; you can find out about it at www.carboncameras.com. I’ve written rather too much about it there, but in short-

The camera is in development, and the tooling for the production prototype is being made. I have no projections for when the prototype might be completed...

The camera uses a new lightweight bag loading film holder, and shoots regular and panoramic formats without any special reducing back. It’s been designed for those who might like to travel more than a few feet from the trunk of the car, carrying more than a few loaded sheets of film. This one doesn't take regular film holders, it doesn't have a traditional back, athough there might be a variant that does, sometime in the future...

The camera has no need for focusing scales, and hence there is no need to emerge from under the cloth to check those scales for depth of field calculations. Focusing is achieved by moving the rear standard, not the front standard, and the camera is quick and intuitive to set up and operate.

There is provision for the control of front tilt and swing from behind the camera back - it’s an option, of course, and it may prove useful to those shooting larger formats with longer lenses, although the front movements can still be set in the usual way, by getting out and taking a walk around the camera.

The camera is modular and can be produced in a range of sizes that might sound unusual- 8x12, 11x17, 14x20, among others, but each of these sizes refers to an aggregate size- 11x14 and 7x17 might be more appropriate film sizes to use in the C1117, for example. The first production prototype will be the C812, which will be able to shoot 8x10, 5x12, 6x12, and 8x12.

I would be grateful if any factual inaccuracies on the website could be identified, as I would not like those to persist. Differences of opinion are welcomed too, though respectfully, we may have to continue to differ. This camera is the product of a singular vision, and the committee approach to design may have led to unacceptable compromises.

Any feedback on the design would be appreciated. However, this is a very complex project, if it is to be done well, and although a huge amount of time, money, and energy has been invested into getting it this far, it might simply be a bad idea, and there may come a point where it goes no further. Upwards of 7 billion people already consider this camera to be a bad idea, so if you must post to tell me that, well, thank you in advance.

If a much smaller number of people could see the benefit of a very lightweight field camera system, where a lot of the weight is saved from the film holders and tripod, in addition to the camera, then that information might be more useful. This new camera design is something of a novelty; it’s an actual original design, and not just another copy of an American Classic. If there is to be a new generation of large format photographers, perhaps this one could be for them...

It has taken a very long time to get this far, and it’s going to take more time to move this project further forward. When I have something more to show, and after I have had time to test, I would like other photographers to get hands on experience of the camera. If you’re not too far from NYC, perhaps it might be possible to arrange this. Please get in touch. If and when I take the camera further afield, I’ll announce it …

This is not an offer for sale, it is not a Kickstarter announcement. However, if this project is going to amount to anything other than a footnote in the history of large format film photography, then at some point I may need to broaden the conversation to include those topics. I must admit that I would have no idea of how to make a kickstarter project out of such a potentially high value item as this anyway; the price point is beyond the sweet spot for online crowdfunding. But that conversation is not for now. There are no prices, no offers of availability, and as such, I believe I’m not breaking any site guidelines here. Just to make sure, I’ve contacted the moderators already to run this post by them.

Thank you for reading. I hope some of you might find the camera interesting enough to share around...

Re: New Lightweight Camera System

Looks great! Interesting design. Good luck with the development!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'd hit that
    best of luck.

Have you looked at Richard Ritter's camera? Already in production, price is fair.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I really want to see the new 'Bag Mag'. That's really exciting!

Everything looks good from here and on your site.

I don't think anybody here an can honestly complain about anybody that actually improves camera designs and makes it happen.

Keep on keepin on!
    Tin Can

Yes, innovative new design is always a good idea. The market is small, but best of luck!

This is a SUPER COOL design with many innovative features.
    My 2 cents:
    The site has WAY too much text, and in tiny font, many paragraphs and is very hard to impossible to understand whats it all about, the videos are good but do little to help this problem.
    The bagmag idea is cool, but seems like:
    1. you are forcing the shooter to carry the max size of the camera with him which for someone shooting something smaller then the max would be more then he would have in DDS holders. While these holders are cool looking, they seem to be every bit as expensive as an exotic size holder might be. Combined with the size issue above, i am not sure why this is an advantage for someone schlepping around ULF.
    2. Inserting that Bagman seems to need lots of force on the rear standard, and sure to cause some movement (?), or so it seems from the video, though i guess thats something that use and experience might overcome. I guess very large holders have that problem just as much.

How much will this cost? How many will be made, and how long will the wait be? Are lens boards standardized?

If the GG is removable, how accurate is its positioning? I am sure that with CF its easy to make it so it is very accurate, but just asking.

On a side note - the CF looks amazing, and the finish is incredible, well done!

I missed this part the first time at the site.

It truly is a Bag Mag.

http://www.carboncameras.com/Loading_Film.html
    Tin Can

That might be precisely what I need so I can carry an 8x10 camera. Alas, I'm sure I can't afford it. It does look like a very fine machine.

Your site is very confusing, WAY to many words, and I tried to read the entire "film holder" section, and I get to the bottom where I think I'll actually get info, and it just trails off to a mystery...

No further info.

Have you solved static issues with a non leather bag mag?

Keep at it, but less words, more show is my advice. More pictures.

Best of luck!