Quote Originally Posted by Dpatt711 View Post
I'm looking to try and get into ULF, but don't have a lot of film camera experience. I'm pretty good at fabrication and have access to laser cutter, milling machine, and 3d printers.
Is building my own camera a practical idea, and if so how much can I expect to spend?
Building a ULF camera can be a very rewarding experience. It can also take a very long time and become more expensive than actually buying a new (old) one. You also have the problem that your interest in ULF may have evaporated by the time you are ready to take photographs!

I don't know if I have been especialy fortunate (easy access to the European and UK "Markets"), but I have been able to get hold of the following ULF format cameras (WITH Plate holders) during the last 10 years at prices averaging around 300€.

2 10x12" cameras
2 24x30cm cameras ( and many more were available!)
3 30x40cm cameras (approx. 12x16")
2 12x15" cameras

These are all either UK type field cameras or tailboard travel cameras.

If you are interested in the sizes above 12x16", then self manufacture is probably the most economical way to do as recent commercial manufacture is (Necessarily!) very expensive. Perhaps Intrepid cameras could extend their range upwards?

Apart from these, there have been over 5 Studio Cameras which still had the original 24x30cm plate holders (Much planned use of ULF is for Portraits!)

I think a lot of people loose their way in making cameras and plate holders and never get round to making images and working with these images.