Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get into ULF?

Re: How to get into ULF?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."

I would agree that trying your hand at 4 x 5 would be worth your time to understand the work flow and process. Then you can jump to ULF if you wish. When I jumped in to 20x24 I just built a black form board and duct tape box camera. The foam board film holder was a bit trickier, but can be done. Save the money on film and a lens. Watch ebay obsessively for some out of date real film. Or paper negatives.

I had a good experience with this approach (gateway) before I bought a proper camera. You will be at $5,000 in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    ...and I wasn't prepared to switch to portraits or still life just to say I was shooting 11x14 instead of 8x10.
    That does kind of kill me about the ULF work shown on this site and elsewhere. I can only take so many 20x24 pictures of bored old men, flowers in wine bottles, and arranged toys/veg/fruit/hand tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Very true, I resemble that, to be truthful

By necessity I must use a studio, I will try to branch out to trees...and decrepit buildings which abound here, if I don't get shot

rearranging studio right now, pushing around 3 giant cameras

I figure we all may be staying home for a while...

and I left the pretty women in the big city 3 years ago

we do what we can as long as we can, then our replacements may show up

hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    That does kind of kill me about the ULF work shown on this site and elsewhere. I can only take so many 20x24 pictures of bored old men, flowers in wine bottles, and arranged toys/veg/fruit/hand tools.

Tin Can

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Very true, I resemble that, to be truthful

By necessity I must use a studio, I will try to branch out to trees...and decrepit buildings which abound here, if I don't get shot

rearranging studio right now, pushing around 3 giant cameras

I figure we all may be staying home for a while...

and I left the pretty women in the big city 3 years ago

we do what we can as long as we can, then our replacements may show up

hopefully
    Indeed I am not saying I never will switch to portraits and still lifes. I have shifted once or twice before, and my joints are deteriorating faster than my doctor can replace them. My studio camera on a wheeled platform may yet become my weapon of choice.

ultimately that's what separates artists and from practitioners ... artists use LF / ULF almost as if they're 35mm snapshots. Whereas practitioners are more marveled by the process of learning and executing said knowledge and ultimately end up with those boring still lives etc, which are still admirable in the sense that yes, I developed a perfect 16x20 negative but like Ansel said... nothing worse than a sharp print of a fuzzy idea.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

A lot of great comments but what happened to the OP? Did he get the information he/she needed? Did we scare them away? ULF is awesome to create with but you need to commit to it. There are ways to do it inexpensively with paper negatives and x-ray film but holders, cameras and tripods are where you will spend the money and do not want to go cheap. If you have minimal experience start with 8x10 and contact print. This is what I did. When I wanted a bigger print I then built a bigger camera and it went on and on from there. There has to be a real desire.... a passion for it or you are just wasting your time and money. Once you get those big negatives hit me up and I'll teach you how to make carbon prints!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    It would be cheaper to build ULF and shoot wet plate rather than film.

Kent in SD
    Definitely, not to mention the unique 'one of a kind' result

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    The problem in ULF is the film holders. Always buy a camera with holders, they are almost always non-standard. The cheapest option is a 7x17 banquet camera.

If you are building a camera I would also start with a holder on hand for the format you want. Also consider the availability of film, unless you are doing wet plate.

Some info here for those on the search for best ULF format: https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...format-for-you

Very sound advice Angus - the devil is in the holders and go from there

regards

Andrew

AND...................

there's a simply staggering 18 x 22 Empire State for auction later this month in the US - near 'museum quality', c/w a lens, just one problem, however..................................yep, no holders

Andrew

I agree there is much repetition in the field but I would suggest that these men are not "bored" but grizzled You comment did inspire me to actually try flowers in ULF. Will see if I can do something of interest