Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Print Exhibit

Master Print Exhibit

I haven't made it to this show yet, but it promises to be rewarding. At Peter Fetterman Gallery in Santa Monica. https://www.peterfetterman.com/exhib...and-don/works/

Re: Master Print Exhibit

Four favorites! Should be a great show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

I've seen nearly all those prints elsewhere over the years, and they certainly are classics, and indeed examples of superb printing skill. Presumably for sale, if you have a personal defibrillator on hand when asking prices.

Perhaps it's the scanning for the web: most of the images have a sort of "midnight" tonality.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 1-Mar-2020 at 08:41.

Perhaps scans are deliberately downgraded to avoid the obvious...

When I Digi copied color drawings I never provided something usable to the web and had to continuously warn my client to not give his art away online.

His drawings sell into 4 figures only in galleries and never online.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

All one would have to do is to show a physical comparison between an actual print and a pirated web download to prove provenance in less than 2 minutes in a claims court. If the offender didn't show up they'd automatically be in default and fined enough to think twice the next time. If serious financial loss were involved, then hired guns can handle that kind of thing. But really, even the public can spot a web download easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    All one would have to do is to show a physical comparison between an actual print and a pirated web download to prove provenance in less than 2 minutes in a claims court.
    What claims court would that be?

Drew Wiley

Any small claims court I'm aware of. They have a ten minute limit and usually cap around $2500, and whoever has their papers or images in order wins. No lawyers are involved. That would be enough to serve a shot over the bow for a casual violator. A serious counterfeiter is not likely to waste his time fooling around with mere photographs unless he can drum scan a particularly famous original. Acquiring web imagery for such purposes is ludicrous; it would be like a pirated movie taken inside a theatre with people moving around in the foreground and everything fuzzy, an obvious knock-off. If an image ends up something like a big ad campaign where serious financial losses can be proven, well, then a real lawsuit is in order. But don't expect sympathy from any lawyer unless there's a big chunk of it potentially for them. I get wryly amused when see be copyright overprinting on web images that are basically amateur peanut butter sandwiches to begin with. Who counterfeits pennies?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Any small claims court I'm aware of. They have a ten minute limit and usually cap around $2500, and whoever has their papers or images in order wins. No lawyers are involved. That would be enough to serve a shot over the bow for a casual violator. A serious counterfeiter is not likely to waste his time fooling around with mere photographs unless he can drum scan a particularly famous original. Acquiring web imagery for such purposes is ludicrous; it would be like a pirated movie taken inside a theatre with people moving around in the foreground and everything fuzzy, an obvious knock-off. If an image ends up something like a big ad campaign where serious financial losses can be proven, well, then a real lawsuit is in order. But don't expect sympathy from any lawyer unless there's a big chunk of it potentially for them. I get wryly amused when see be copyright overprinting on web images that are basically amateur peanut butter sandwiches to begin with. Who counterfeits pennies?
    When did small claims courts start handling copyright cases (Federal jurisdiction)?

Wink Re: Master Print Exhibit

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Perhaps it's the scanning for the web: most of the images have a sort of "midnight" tonality.
    I think they are keeping them on the dark side so they don't fade.