Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

Good luck to us all

Carry on regardless
    Tin Can

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

As a newbie, what blows my mind is the explosion, if you will, of all these new cameras from small shops. I had imagined I was entering a withering realm of old equipment and limited options. Instead, I've happily discovered I'm entering a photographic realm at the onset of a renaissance of sorts. Folks are jumping off from the old and solving old problems anew, or at least all over again. All at the same time that elders, masters of the art and of the medium, are still present with lifetimes of experience. Perfect for newbies!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good luck to us all

Carry on regardless
    Welcome to the discussion continue on the COSMOS CIRCLE.
    thank
    In 2013, we started working on the COSMOS CIRCLE.
    We know that the production of LF camera materials, nothing more than metal, wood and plastic, now also use titanium alloy, carbon fiber and other new materials. What we're going to do is we're going to make cheap fast cameras, we're going to use the lightest materials, lower production costs. At the time, ilford's plastic pinhole camera was already on the market, and we decided to make it from the same material.
    In October 2015, our pilot model was born. "pierre506" asked us for one and lent me his crowdfunded Travelwide 4×5 camera. Oh, what a surprise! On the other side of the world, there are cameras like us!
    However, we didn't have crowdfunding. We built the camera in our own power. At the same time, we have developed the pinhole shutter, viewfinder and other accessories, these are our independent completion.
    LF forum in China, we have a special introduction and discussion, please friends to have a look. The link is here:
    http://forum.xitek.com/forum-viewthr...529634609.html
    Thank again

Quote Originally Posted by Exploring Large Format View Post
    As a newbie, what blows my mind is the explosion, if you will, of all these new cameras from small shops. I had imagined I was entering a withering realm of old equipment and limited options. Instead, I've happily discovered I'm entering a photographic realm at the onset of a renaissance of sorts. Folks are jumping off from the old and solving old problems anew, or at least all over again. All at the same time that elders, masters of the art and of the medium, are still present with lifetimes of experience. Perfect for newbies!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your advice.

Combining various information, the LF camera and LF photography are experiencing a Renaissance, especially as far as I know in China.

Myself and my team almost always use LF cameras.

We go to the high altitude of Tibet every year to shoot, the LF camera's weight, so we want to have a light camera can replace, so, we produced the COSMOS CIRCLE

The COSMOS CIRCLE is suitable for newbie as well as for more demanding photographers because, through various accessories, a 47mm - 180mm lens can be used and a variety of film backs can be used to advance to the needs of high level photography.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A00_1619.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	201372

Name:	A00_1620.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	201373

Name:	A00_1621.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	201374

Name:	A00_1622.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	201375

Name:	A00_1623.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	201376

Name:	A00_1625.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	201377

Name:	A00_1626.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	201378

Name:	A00_1627.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	201379

Name:	A00_4328.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	201380

Name:	A00_4329.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	201381

Name:	A00_4330.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	201382

Name:	A00_4331.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	201383

Some parts of COSMOS can be used as independent large format accessories. They are all universal type.
    1.Viewfinder
    It has 4 advantages:
    *It has large angle, up to 110°.
    *It is bright and sharp.
    *When you take a view from the eyepiece, you can see the horizontal bead in the scene (in fact, it is on the top of the viewfinder) to determine whether the camera is horizontal.
    *It has slots on the side. By inserting different inserts, you can frame the viewfinder range of different focal length lenses or different format.

Name:	A00_0164.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	201435.
    Attachment 201440

May I add a very late, possibly naive, question? I have enjoyed LF photography for close to 50 years, because I enjoy the thinking and precision afforded by a tripod and 4x5 movements, and in the darkroom I like the quality of the large negatives. But for handheld snapshot use, I prefer either 35mm or my medium format Rollie. The 120 roll film in particular still has large enough negatives so that at 11x14 prints there is little difference from 4x5. That said, what is the point of a 4x5 snapshot camera, where you give up the use of swings and tilts and the precision of a tripod, but also the easier film handling of roll film for taking multiple shots?

because they want to
    Tin Can

We all have our own thresholds...and indeed, depending upon the nature of light, subject, logistics, etc. etc., medium format is often a better choice than LF.

Personally, I typically do not print smaller than 16x20 these days...and while my Fuji/Voigtlander 6x7's (and to some degree my Hasselblad) can indeed often stand up to and even exceed what I could obtain with LF at this print size (again, depending on light/subject/logistics), its when I go to 20x30, 30x40 and 40x60 that I truly appreciate the qualities offered by LF.

Then again, some of these qualities relate to the inherent flexibility offered by LF - and I would find it very difficult to give up various movements, particularly axial and off-axial rotations, for most of my landscape work. But for tramping up into the mountains and hoping to create some broad, distant views, a simple, lightweight, fixed focus LF camera could be perfect, assuming sufficient light if handheld, and that a significantly closer foreground is not important or if, for whatever reason, DOF is not that important or even distracting.

But even on those days which would be bright enough to use LF hand held, I often find myself reaching for something like an orange filter...and the two stop sacrifice that this entails often eliminates the possibility of hand held LF, excepting in cases when I can compensate (at least somewhat) for the lack of this filter through selective processing.

Horses for courses here - knowing that lots of folks like handheld LF for the specific qualities offered even at very small print sizes, and even (thinking of Nicholas Nixon) contact prints.