Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    975

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Simple and practical? Linhof Technika, Speed and Crown Graphics and a number of rangefinder coupled types work just fine. Can be used as simply as one wants or - with higher end models - for more technical work if you need the adjustability some of them have.
    "My forumla for successful printing remains ordinary chemicals, an ordinary enlarger, music, a bottle of scotch - and stubbornness." W. Eugene Smith

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,971

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Isn’t this similar to a Cambo Wide? Only the Cambo is made of sturdier material IMO. I have a plastic camera made by a well known maker of such type, and I honestly was afraid to put my 1500 US dollar lens in the helical. I bought it for its modified Polaroid back with graflock design, but it does not fit my Linhof well. I applaud innovation, but I will not purchase another all plastic camera. Seems too brittle and coarse as far as materials, and precision is not there.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Further is of course to copy more of the Linhof Technar, like handle with room for cable, more flash cold shoe and strap fixtures.

    Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    Actually, the handle has enough space to put into cable, but we didn't drill holes for stability. But someone bought cameras and DIY themselves.
    There are two flash cold shots on the top of the camera.

    Actually, the handle has enough space to put into cable, but we didn't drill holes for stability. Some friends have modified the handle as you said.
    Of course, we also think of another solution, which is to use the shutter button. In the picture below is our production of the shutter button.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T2JWznXc0bXXXXXXXX_!!96945955.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	201268

    There are two flash cold shots on the top of the camera.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QQ图片20200301121112.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	201270

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Simple and practical? Linhof Technika, Speed and Crown Graphics and a number of rangefinder coupled types work just fine. Can be used as simply as one wants or - with higher end models - for more technical work if you need the adjustability some of them have.
    The cameras you mentioned are bellows, so they use rangefinder to focus.And COSMOS use focusing helicoid ring. As long as the focus is measured in advance and marked on the focusing ring, just like using Leica manual lens, it can focus quickly instead of looking at the rangefinder every time - that's what we mean by simplicity and practicality.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Isn’t this similar to a Cambo Wide? Only the Cambo is made of sturdier material IMO. I have a plastic camera made by a well known maker of such type, and I honestly was afraid to put my 1500 US dollar lens in the helical. I bought it for its modified Polaroid back with graflock design, but it does not fit my Linhof well. I applaud innovation, but I will not purchase another all plastic camera. Seems too brittle and coarse as far as materials, and precision is not there.
    In fact, plastic has been used in the manufacture of cameras and camera accessories. It is one of the common materials. Now the plastic technology has a mature compound formula, which is not the same as the plastic products of daily necessities, and its physical properties are also different from the plastic in our impression. Even digital cameras use plastic to make the body. In exploring how to make the camera lighter, more and more different materials are applied.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,971

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Quote Originally Posted by 3S-KR View Post
    In fact, plastic has been used in the manufacture of cameras and camera accessories. It is one of the common materials. Now the plastic technology has a mature compound formula, which is not the same as the plastic products of daily necessities, and its physical properties are also different from the plastic in our impression. Even digital cameras use plastic to make the body. In exploring how to make the camera lighter, more and more different materials are applied.
    There is a reason an all plastic camera is cheap!

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    975

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Quote Originally Posted by 3S-KR View Post
    The cameras you mentioned are bellows, so they use rangefinder to focus.And COSMOS use focusing helicoid ring. As long as the focus is measured in advance and marked on the focusing ring, just like using Leica manual lens, it can focus quickly instead of looking at the rangefinder every time - that's what we mean by simplicity and practicality.
    Very simple to figure out where focus is with the cameras. News shooters for decades used them in every climate and location and circumstance possible.
    "My forumla for successful printing remains ordinary chemicals, an ordinary enlarger, music, a bottle of scotch - and stubbornness." W. Eugene Smith

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    368

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    There is a reason an all plastic camera is cheap!
    When you start injection molding PEEK in small quantities, plastic isn't cheap...
    Expert in non-working solutions.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    Cheap is needed, but not essential. LF friends know that function, versatility is the reason we value. Quality is also critical.

    Of course, our price for COSMOS CIRCLE will definitely catch your eye.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    47

    Re: A simple and practical 4x5 snapshot camera

    LF is a sentiment

    We also like music, whisky and tea.

    Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. 35mm snapshot mail order processing???
    By RichSBV in forum Resources
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2009, 09:04

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •