Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about flash photography with a Chamonix

Question about flash photography with a Chamonix

I have never used flash on a 4x5 camera, but I want to shoot using the flash indoors or outdoors.
    I'm going to take simple shots of my friends one by one.
    Fortunately, I can borrow Godox V1N Round Head Camera Flash and Xpro-N TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for a long time.
    And I use a Sekonic L-758D exposure meter.

Can I use these Nikon-compatible flashe and trigger with Chamonix cameras? (I use Schneider and Rodenstone lenses.)
    If possible, I would like to know which cable I need.
    Please understand the basic questions.
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

Foamer

Re: Question about flash photography with a Chamonix

The camera has NOTHING to do with the flash. Flash is controlled by the lens. You attach the flash to the PC socket on the Copal (or other) shutter using a PC sync cord. You connect the other end to any flash. I just use radio triggers. Note that a TTL flash system will not work here. Has to be manual or manual mode. Your meter must be set to FLASH mode, not ambient.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I was wondering if Nikon-compatible, or Canon-compatible, or Sony-compatible flash and trigger can be used for 4x5 lenses.
    Thank you for your detailed description.

Do the flash/triggers have a PC sync? Are your lenses mounted in modern shutters with a PC sync? If so, then yes. It will work just fine.

Yes, both have PC Sync code jack.
    Thank you.

p.s. I am going to study flash exposure using Instax Wide Film. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ide-in-any-4X5

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post
    I have never used flash on a 4x5 camera, but I want to shoot using the flash indoors or outdoors.
    I'm going to take simple shots of my friends one by one.
    Fortunately, I can borrow Godox V1N Round Head Camera Flash and Xpro-N TTL Wireless Flash Trigger for a long time.
    And I use a Sekonic L-758D exposure meter.

Can I use these Nikon-compatible flashe and trigger with Chamonix cameras? (I use Schneider and Rodenstone lenses.)
    If possible, I would like to know which cable I need.
    Please understand the basic questions.
    Your journey mirrors mine. I just started using my Intrepid 4x5 in the studio, with Flashpoint R2 trigger (Godox) and Godox QS1200ii mono lights. Or Godox AD200's. Using Rodenstock lens, but as others noted, it is the shutter that matters. Copal shutters working great for syncing with their PC sync ports. I use PC Sync to 2.5mm cable to connect the lens/shutter to the trigger. I use my Sekonic 558R, but just for flash metering. My trigger is also Nikon, just because I have a Nikon, though it doesn't matter at all. The Rodenstock/Copal care not a whit about trigger configuration. Refreshingly simple which is just what I love about large format.

One Godox feature I've just come to embrace--new technology, but simple nonetheless--is the Godox phone app that allows me to adjust and test flash my lighting from anywhere in the studio via Bluetooth. That way, I can leave my camera and trigger mounted together on the tripod securely, and just take my meter and phone up to my willing victim (subject) to meter the flash easily by triggering the flash via the Godox phone app. Trigger never leaves camera, and I can meter the flash all I need without touching the flash trigger or firing the shutter.

The app you said is a GodoxPhoto app. Right? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/godoxphoto/id1258982778
    I also watched this video. I also want to experience this soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHNHMIqGGFM
    Thank you.

Yep, Godox Photo App. I was a skeptical technology grump at first. But I've come to dig it. And I use one trigger in the studio and another in the field. They're cheap. Always have my phone, so App follows me. Familiarity prevents some of my mistakes. Ha!

Just need to adjust the settings once from the App so you are certain that the settings you're reading on the App have been transmitted to your strobes.

AND, interesting for LF, Godox is coming out with a new pack and head 1200ws flash. No price yet. But I am thinking the Godox system is becoming very compatible and reliable for LF.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You seem to use Godox lights with Godox A1 smartphone flash.
    I am also interested in Godox A1, but I am concerned that Amazon user rating is not good.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by younghoon Kil View Post
    The app you said is a GodoxPhoto app. Right? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/godoxphoto/id1258982778
    I also watched this video. I also want to experience this soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHNHMIqGGFM
    Thank you.
    Thanks for sharing the video. Inspiring to concentrate on lighting. My issue is in stopping down my LF lenses, I crave more watt seconds for portraits. Hence my larger monolights. Keep us posted on how it goes for you please.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk