Thread: Linhof Tripod Parts - ?

Linhof Tripod Parts - ?

I'm trying to find the crank handle for the gear drive on a Linhof heavy duty tripod. The column is shown on the B&H website https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_Column.html

Searching for Linhof tripod parts doesn't turn up anything. A few parts are listed on http://linhof.com/en/ under spare parts.

Does anybody have any suggestions where parts can be found?

TIA
    jeff

Re: Linhof Tripod Parts - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    I'm trying to find the crank handle for the gear drive on a Linhof heavy duty tripod. The column is shown on the B&H website https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_Column.html

Searching for Linhof tripod parts doesn't turn up anything. A few parts are listed on http://linhof.com/en/ under spare parts.

Does anybody have any suggestions where parts can be found?

TIA
    jeff
    Those parts are long since gone so your only option is to fabricate (McGiver) one for yourself. The metal part would have to be machined to the receiving thread and bent to the correct angle. Someone with a small lathe could turn you one from a piece of colored hardwood for the end handle. Being able to find a "parts" heavy duty tripod is such a small likelyhood I caution to even mention it.

On eBay picked up a used Linhof Heavy Duty tripod "for parts only " for under $100. Well under part's fabrications costs in my case. Shipping costs are acceptable if you choose to use the slowest shipping way.

I agree, make one, almost anything can be copied

I have one full set of the HD Linhof tripod, elevation parts, dolly and no way I am breaking it up

I looked hard for the bits I got, even more rare in Germany I think. German museums have junk

I searched all over the world

but you never know, so put a WTB on this forum
    Tin Can

Either at Nippon in NYC, that is who I sold all of Marflex’s parts to, or Bob Watkins at Precision, that’s who Nippon shared those parts with.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Those parts are long since gone so your only option is to fabricate (McGiver) one for yourself. The metal part would have to be machined to the receiving thread and bent to the correct angle. Someone with a small lathe could turn you one from a piece of colored hardwood for the end handle. Being able to find a "parts" heavy duty tripod is such a small likelyhood I caution to even mention it.
    Both the Linhof Heavy Duty Pro (2 models) and the Large Geared Center Column for them are current products. So the factory should have that part. Might only be available from an authorized service center.

‘Suggest OP contact Austin at Laflex in Palm Springs as he restores such Linhof gear and may have parts you need.

Feb. 28th add: I have a very nice Linhof HD Prof. tripod with geared column that I obtained from an eBay seller a couple of years ago, and recently received a Linhof Leveling Head from Laflex to fit under a rather heavy studio camera. Austin at Laflex told me that a fair portion of the Linhof HD tripods he reconditions are purchased by amateur astronomers who are out there, mostly in the western US.
    Last edited by JMO; 28-Feb-2020 at 10:13.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Wow. From the depths of despair to a couple of viable options. Wonders never cease. I have one of those massive Linhof Heavy Duty Tripods so it is good to know that there is an option for parts.