Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chroma 4x5 camera - review

Re: Chroma 4x5 camera - review

Thanks a lot for the review Neil, and your honest feedback. I really appreciate it.

As you said, the design of the camera has changed along the way from the first crowd funded version, mainly due to my own constant push to improve on the back of feedback, and just from building over 150 of them! As above, no camera will ever be “perfect” for everyone, whether it’s a £300 entry to large format or a £10,000 classic from Linhoff/Ebony etc but my hope for Chroma was to build something that is affordable, allows the photographer to grow their skill without needing to replace their camera before they can, and is a little bit more unique. The materials I use, along with the manufacturing techniques, allow me to keep the costs down, without compromising on rigidity and weight. The current version of the Chroma Advanced 4x5 weighs 1600g, has fully independent movements on both standards and folds down to a compact size for transport, but that doesn’t meant that it’s the right camera for everyone.

With regards to the negatives you’ve highlighted, we’ve already talked about these as they’re valid points. The film back design, with steel Graflok plates/springs, is something I’ve been working on upgrading for a while, and my new Carbon Adventurer, Mk2 Advanced and Snapshot, all use a new traditional leaf spring design to secure the ground glass in line with the film plane, without needing the Graflok plates to secure it. I’ve also replaced the traditional style steel plates with rotating cams instead. As well as reducing weight further, they also work better with a wider range of international standard backs, which come in a whole range of “standard” sizes!

The new film back design is a direct replacement for the version you have in your camera (I designed the film back to fit using magnets to allow for a modular approach to upgrades in the future), and I’ll be offering them on my website as an accessory upgrade in the near future.

With regards to the thumbscrews, again, you’re also right about them being a little small. They were originally chosen as a compromise between cost and functionality, to keep the overall camera price down, but I’m replacing them with larger screws going forwards.

Finally, the choice of materials, whilst different to more traditional cameras, are still high quality, strong and light. As a photographer myself, the top priority in designing my cameras is always to make something I want to use myself. Whilst Fisher Price may be made from plastic, that doesn’t mean my cameras are toys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3234A217-E932-4D70-94FC-867E5DBE69F0.jpeg  

Hi Steve,

Thank you for providing another opportunity in the 4x5 market. Reasonably priced with enough features to tempt a veteran and excite a newbie.

Howard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze1983 View Post
    Hi Steve,

Thank you for providing another opportunity in the 4x5 market. Reasonably priced with enough features to tempt a veteran and excite a newbie.

Howard Simmons
    Thanks Howard, I appreciate that. I’d like to think there’s enough space in the market for something new, alongside the wealth of existing options.

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Steve,

Current events meant that I only just saw your reply above. I shall be investigating your updated site in some detail

Neil

No problem Neil. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Cheers

I have a Chroma Snapshot in my cart... Looks so cool. Just can't decide on a lens focal length. The 105/8 Fujinon looks like a decent option as if I take it out of the Chroma it would work on 5x7 on my Chamonix...

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I have a Chroma Snapshot in my cart... Looks so cool. Just can't decide on a lens focal length. The 105/8 Fujinon looks like a decent option as if I take it out of the Chroma it would work on 5x7 on my Chamonix...
    The 105/8 Fujinon SW is a very nice and sharp lens, in my experience, and I very much like mine, but it is a large lens using 77mm filters and may be a bit awkward on a light field camera. It does use a Copal 0 shutter, though, and covers 5x7 easily with a 250mm + image circle.