Thread: PN55 neg degradation

PN55 neg degradation

Hi,
    I have quite a few PN55 negs on file from years gone by. Some of them now have what appears to be a precipitate on the back of the neg. Before I go re-washing or taking and action at all I thought maybe someone else had encountered the same problem. The 'problem' only came to light when I scanned the negs, I use an Imacon so high res results.

Re: PN55 neg degradation

Do you remember how you processed them (time in Sodium sulfite, wash time, photo-flo, etc)?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I just pulled out a few of my Polaroid Type 55 negs from nearly 40 years ago and they're fine. I suspect your issue is either processing or storage.

I agree. I recently scanned some I shot about 30 years ago and they look as good as new. Such beautiful tonality in those negs. I would treat and wash them again.

Thanks very much for the replies.
    This shoot was decades ago, in my studio, darkroom right there and I was normally a stickler for doing things right. Other negs from the period are fine so I think it was most likely a washing error (hard to admit).
    Cheers

My Type 55 negs are still in decent shape from decades ago, so that might be it. Hopefully a rewash is all they need. Good luck!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China