Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb question: value of having lenses with the same filter size

Newb question: value of having lenses with the same filter size

Assuming I want to be able to utilize Grad ND filters, what benefit is there to carrying lenses with the same filter size? I just read some folks expound about the need to keep everything 67mm and if I have to carry a square Grad I figure it doesn't matter. What am I missing?

Drew Wiley

Re: Newb question: value of having lenses with the same filter size

Step-up rings allow you to use larger filters on smaller thread lenses if you want to standardize on a single filter size like 67mm. You can buy an adapter for the same 67mm thread that allows you to use slip-in filters if you feel the need to experiment with a ND Grad.

45-57-617

In my experience, it is impossible to have a set of lenses all with the same filter size. Extreme wide angled lenses have massive filters, lenses with a large aperture have large diameters too. The only way to go is to very large filters and step up/down rings in my opinion. It is unfortunate.

Huub

When using square filters in a holder it isn't the biggest issue i think. Just make sure they are large enough to cover the biggest lens you plan on possibly getting and use step up rings for the others. For 4x5 especially some of the 90mm support big filters, but it is perfectly feasable to use 67mm as the largest filter size for that format when you get the f8 or f 6.8 versions of the 90mm in stead of the f4.5 or f5.6 ones.

I knew a photographer who always used 67mm and step up rings but put them on the back side facing the film. His explanation was it was habit from his commercial days when they would put color correction filters on the back of the lens for color film in the studio. Clients didn't like to see the filters in front of the lens.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I knew a photographer who always used 67mm and step up rings but put them on the back side facing the film. His explanation was it was habit from his commercial days when they would put color correction filters on the back of the lens for color film in the studio. Clients didn't like to see the filters in front of the lens.
    He must of liked the focus shift and image degradation that way.

How did he control his polarizer?

To be able to carry one less filter means you can carry more of other stuff like a back up meter, loupe and cable. If I am out with 3 lenses and the largest filter size is 72mm then I will have a set of 72mm filters and two step up rings. It doesn’t mean you don’t need to buy the other sizes. You just don’t bring all of them.

My Mamiya RB67 medium format (50mm, 90mm, 180mm, and 360,mm) all take the same filters - 77mm. One added bonus is now that I have a 4x5 LF camera, I use a step up adapter (58mm to 77mm) to use the filters from the RB67 on the 4x5.

LOL Ditto and I didn't post what I wrote earlier, now I will...

77 mm is a great size and mine will fit my soon to arrive Jo Lommen Aero lens hood
    Tin Can

Good-quality coated glass screw-in filters can be expensive. Plus, if you want a full complement for black-and-white, you'll need six filters or more. Carrying around six filters for every lens you own can get bulky and expensive...

I've got two sets of six: one 52mm and one 67mm. 67mm is the largest lens filter size I have (90mm and 75mm lenses). All my other lenses either have 52mm threads or have been adapted to 52mm. When I don't need to carry the larger lenses, I can carry the smaller 52mm filter kit. When I need the larger lenses, I carry the 67mm filter kit, which includes a 52-to-67mm step-up ring so I can use the larger filters on all the other lenses.

If you want to use square filters like GND filters, etc., then you'll need the square filter holder. It still makes sense, however, to somehow adapt your filter mounting size to match the largest lens you typically use with stepping rings so you only need one adapter for the filter holder.

Best,

Doremus