Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens for 8x10 Intrepid newbie

Lens for 8x10 Intrepid newbie

Looking to get busy with 8x10 Intrepid. Hoping mostly landscape, outdoor. Thinking 240 to 300 range. Size is a consideration. On a budget for this. Nikkor m 300 and fujinon A 240 have caught my attention. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Regards

Ken

Re: Lens for 8x10 Intrepid newbie

How long do the bellows get?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Kickstarter page said 40 to 600. I haven’t measured.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Kickstarter page said 40 to 600. I haven’t measured.
    Look for a Schneider (Linhof badged if you can find it ) symmar convertible ( "plasmat" design i think .. )
    it will also give you a longer focal length, but it will take a large amount of bellows to focus converted
    ( focus node is far back so for example it takes 450mm to focus a 370 at infinity ) I have a 210/370 and love it.
    They sometimes have "schneideritis" so the black paint inside the barrel looks kind of wonky, don't worry it won't effect the image.
    ( they tend to be "sleepers" )
    have fun!
    john

I use 240 more than 300, but that's personal preference. Both are terrific lenses. The 240 might be usable as a convertible lens. My 240 Doctor Optic is, giving about 450mm with the front removed. I use this lens on an Intrepid MK II.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Photographer

Have you looked at thelens spreadsheets on the LF Home Page listed at the top of this page? If no, review the options and go shopping. Asking a question such as you asked will get you a lot of personal opinions, not much useful information. Doing your own analysis will get you further.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Have you looked at thelens spreadsheets on the LF Home Page listed at the top of this page? If no, review the options and go shopping. Asking a question such as you asked will get you a lot of personal opinions, not much useful information. Doing your own analysis will get you further.
    Having recently outfitted an 8x10 Mark 2 Intrepid myself recently I can share with you that for me there was a dominant theme relative to my objective to get off of the beaten path with the camera. The primary drivers with optics for me were diminutive size, lightest possible weight and largest coverage available. My Intrepid 8x10 lens kit includes a 159mm Wollensak Extreme Wide Angle (the image circle does not catch the front camera bed), a 240mm Docter Wide Angle, a 300mm M Nikon and a 450mm Fuji C. The camera will not accept a lens longer than the 450mm unless you employ a lens board extender. There are options for the 240mm (Fuji A) as well as the 300mm (Fuji C) and there may be a Docter 450mm that could be found as the 450c appears to be as rare as the Fuji 600c these days. Do some research and you will find what works for you.

As I said earlier, if you have a Doctor 240 Germinar-W, then you also have a 450mm lens with the front cell is removed. I had SK Grimes makes an adapter to use 52mm filters on the front of the shutter.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Looking to get busy with 8x10 Intrepid. Hoping mostly landscape, outdoor. Thinking 240 to 300 range. Size is a consideration. On a budget for this. Nikkor m 300 and fujinon A 240 have caught my attention. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Regards

Ken
    Seems like you've already zeroed in on two perfectly acceptable lenses. What more do need to know? Everyone will tell you their personal favorites now, but that's mostly irrelevant. Find a lens and start shooting.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Drew Wiley

That 240 W Germinar is a pretty darn expensive 240, but if one can budget it, or even find one. You might think about a 240 Fuji A instead; it's what I use in that focal length. The Nikkor M 300 will cover 8x10, but with very little wiggle room for movements - not a particularly versatile lens on this format, wonderful on smaller sizes. The Fuji C 300 would give you a little bigger image circle at the same light weight. The Fuji 360A is the lightwt cat's meow in its particular focal length class for 8x10, but scarce and pricey. 450C's come up for sale reasonably often, and are a lightweight wonder for 8x10. I think 600 C's are getting seriously overpriced nowadays, but they are compact. I don't know how much bellows you have to work with, or even if a camera like this has a serious enough front standard to keep a lens in a no.3 shutter truly stable at 600+ mm extension. I use one on my Phillips 8x10, but do have to be very aware of the slightest breezes (and as most people now know, I don't use any kind of tripod head for sake of maximum stability).