Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Portrait Lenses

Foamer

Re: 8x10 Portrait Lenses

I think it's probably right that all of the older designed lenses (Tessar, Velostigmat/Raptor, Acutar, Ektar, etc.) will have a very similar look. Most will be single coated which will be OK with me. I think I'll stick with lenses in adjustable shutter (Compound, Copal, Betax, Ilex, etc.) because that will give me more flexibility, especially with aperture. I'm trying to avoid putting a Packard in this camera because I also use a huge Petzval on it and it won't clear the Packard. (I have to crank the barrel of the 12 inch Voigtlander back into the bellows so the 5 pound lens will balance better on the front standard.) I was thinking of a 16 inch lens, but I think a 14-15 will do what I want.

I'm the official photographer of Lake County Ice Racing. Virtually all shots are taken with my Nikon D850 for obvious reasons, but I've been taking a few with 4x5 and 8x10 this year. For my final shot of the season I had all the LCR crew assemble and I took a group photo of them with the 2D. I selected the Nikon 300mm f9 M because it's multicoated. I was out on blindingly white ice under full sun and the 300 Nikon is the only multicoated lens I have for 8x10. I think it did pretty well here. I stopped down to f32 as I recall and shot 1/50s. Conditions were about a stop brighter than the usual "Sunny 16."

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails K2DlakeCoRacingM.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

I ended up buying an Acutar 14.75 inch lens in Ilex 5, multicoated, for $425. It looked pretty clean and I think it will do what I want. Not sure it's going to mount on a Wista metal board though! If not will put it on a 2D 6x6. I now have three modern lenses for 8x10: Fuji 210mm f5.6 (inside writing,) Nikon 300mm M f9, Acutar 14.75 in. f6.3. I think I might be good on lenses. Also have two early 20th C. lenses and four made before 1862.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ILEX-ACUTAR...p2047675.l2557

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I also have "an Acutar 14.75 inch lens in Ilex 5, multicoated". I made this 6x8-inch tintype with it yesterday. Which will have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what you do with yours.

Which is exactly as it should be.

And I can scarcely believe that after all these years, I've only now added "Acutar" to my spell-check dictionary. Highly unlikely, I think. Very highly unlikely indeed. I smell a conspiracy afoot...

Anyways, from the Ilex...

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Foamer

I will be shooting wet plate with it some, but mostly will use early brass for that I think. So, was this an OK buy for the money? Can't imagine something in good condition going for too much less.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Yeah, at the risk of offending the "No Evaluations" Gods, I'd say it's a pretty fair deal. The shutter alone goes for $200+. But the value is in what it can do in capable hands. The challenge awaits you.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Yeah, at the risk of offending the "No Evaluations" Gods, I'd say it's a pretty fair deal. The shutter alone goes for $200+. But the value is in what it can do in capable hands. The challenge awaits you.

I think the "valuations" rule has to do with people popping up out of nowhere with something to sell. I'm a buyer here. As for the challenge, I am constantly setting challenges for myself. Six weeks ago I didn't even have an 8x10 camera. Now that I've got it sorted out I'm getting consistently good results. Next step is tin type.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    ...As for the challenge, I am constantly setting challenges for myself. Six weeks ago I didn't even have an 8x10 camera. Now that I've got it sorted out I'm getting consistently good results. Next step is tin type.
    NOOO!!! Give up now, before it's too late! Or risk being plunged into the Lake of Eternal Collodion Doom!

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    NOOO!!! Give up now, before it's too late! Or risk being plunged into the Lake of Eternal Collodion Doom!
    Too late. I've even been shooting wet plate outdoors in Dakota winter.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Oh, there's no hope for you now...