Thread: DIY Copal Shutter CLA?

DIY Copal Shutter CLA?

One of my Copal #1 shutters is basically starting to quit on its longer measured times (1/8th down to 1 second), especially in cold weather.

I've had other shutters (Compur and Leica M) apart before...mainly to lubricate their slow speed mechanisms, which are typically in a pivoting "cage," and which are usually very easy to access and lubricate.

While I've never had a Copal apart, I'm thinking that things will look familiar enough that a basic re-lube of the slow speeds should be pretty straight forward. Then again, I really don't want to end up shipping a box of parts to a repair facility.

Am I on the right track here...or should I just send the shutter out for this?

Finally, if I do send it out - are there any recommendations for who can do this and turn it around fairly quickly? Thanks!

Re: DIY Copal Shutter CLA?

While it's really up to you and your skill level/confidence, Copal shutters are hands down the easiest shutters to work on. Once you have the face off the entire gear train comes out in one piece with two screws and should be cleaned in a solvent and then LIGHTLY lubricated. I may be a bit biased given how many shutters I've worked on but to me it seems like a very easy job.
    Jim

Flutots camera repair
    Carol is the best

I have had a few Speed Graphic shutters apart in the past but don't recall exactly which they were. Seemed OK as long as I didn't take parts off olr out. Thought to do something on a Copal shutter a year or so ago, and looked on YouTube first to see what it would be like.

Yikes! I don't thjink I even want to turn the screws on the front cover.

I have my LF shutters, and my Leica M-3 too, serviced by Mike at Professional Camera Repair here in Houston.

http://www.professionalcamerarepair.com/
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Photographer

Well, I’m sure this will get some blowback, but I’ve had good luck with sticking shutters by squirting lighter fluid in the shutter, and then repeatedly firing the shutter. Give it a try before investing in an expensive CLA. Oh, remove the front and rear lens elements before your first squirt.
    Keith Pitman

Check this and decide on your skill level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_1Cmfwi28