Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Is Steve Hopf still active?

  1. #21
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    How many angels can dance between 400 fresnel lines? ... Or stumble on them....

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Rondo, Missouri
    Posts
    2,013

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    So did we ever find Steve?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

    If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

  3. #23
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    Wasn't there a past thread stating he was getting out of the game, but describing how to grind glass yourself?

  4. #24
    Jim Sidinger
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver Area, Colorado USA
    Posts
    174

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Jim,

    You still haven’t stated exactly why you dislike a tool that makes a gg evenly illuminated edge to edge. Why not?
    Bob,
    I know you believe that fresnels are the best thing since sliced bread and you are trying to be helpful to a poor schmuck who simply will not see the light (pun intended).

    I don't know how to say it better than I did in post #12. Yes, they make the screen brighter, but I have problems focusing with them. For me to say I hate them is certainly hyperbole but I don't find them net helpful. Mark it down to the incorrigible masochist in me that I am willing to work with inferior tools.

    Teaching a pig to sing is wasted effort. All it does is frustrate the teacher and annoy the pig.
    Have a better one, Jim

  5. #25
    Jim Sidinger
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver Area, Colorado USA
    Posts
    174

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Wasn't there a past thread stating he was getting out of the game, but describing how to grind glass yourself?
    Hey Drew,
    Any idea of about when and in what forum? I did a search of "Camera & Accessories" but didn't come up with anything.
    Best, Jim

  6. #26
    Jim Sidinger
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver Area, Colorado USA
    Posts
    174

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    How many angels can dance between 400 fresnel lines? ... Or stumble on them....
    Drew,
    Too bad we don't have a medieval scholar like Saint Thomas Aquinas or a more recent St. Ansel Adams around to ask. I'm sure the posited answers would be fascinating! - and the discussion indeterminable. Kind of like this one.
    Best, Jim

  7. #27
    Peter
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morro Bay, Ca
    Posts
    682

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    To do a better search of this site than you might experience here use google and search ... site:largeformatphotography.info + Steve Hopf

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,054

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    Bob,
    I know you believe that fresnels are the best thing since sliced bread and you are trying to be helpful to a poor schmuck who simply will not see the light (pun intended).

    I don't know how to say it better than I did in post #12. Yes, they make the screen brighter, but I have problems focusing with them. For me to say I hate them is certainly hyperbole but I don't find them net helpful. Mark it down to the incorrigible masochist in me that I am willing to work with inferior tools.

    Teaching a pig to sing is wasted effort. All it does is frustrate the teacher and annoy the pig.
    Have a better one, Jim
    Why would you have a problem focusing with them? Bad eyes? Improperly focused loupe?

  9. #29
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,658

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    Wow, missed this entire thread

    I like my DIY GG, so easy and fun

    Bought a Satin Snow and several Hopf, even a Boro

    Have fun guys, for tomorrow we...
    sin eater

  10. #30
    Drew Wiley
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SF Bay area, CA
    Posts
    14,143

    Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

    How many angels on the head of a pin was a scholastic query of Duns Scotus - from whence we derive the term, Dunce. This didn't originally imply someone stupid, but an uncentered abundance of irrelevant knowledge. It's what gave medieval scholasticism its bad name. Scotus would have used five fresnels atop one another because he would have been unable to make up his mind which worked best. I've known a few architects and engineers like that.

Similar Threads

  1. Steve Hopf Ground Glass
    By Jim Andrada in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2017, 17:54
  2. Steve Hopf GroundGlass
    By Alan9940 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2016, 10:47
  3. Steve Hopf Groundglass
    By David Karp in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1-Jan-2012, 10:40

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •