Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Steve Hopf still active?

Jim Sidinger

Is Steve Hopf still active?

Hi All,
    Have a borosilicate gg Steve made for my Ebony 4x5 - it's the bee's knees and now I'm spoiled. Recently I bought a 5x7 Chamonix that I'd like one for. Have been trying to contact him but not sure he is still active as the links to email questionable and no response after a couple of weeks.

Anybody know his status? And if he's 'hung it up' are there any other sources for same?

signed, (I HATE fresnels and getting too old for regular gg) Jim

Re: Is Steve Hopf still active?

Why would you “hate fresnel”?

Hi Jim,
    I got two gg's from Steve last year. Of course they are beautiful. I communicated via hopfsteve@gmail.com and it was a bit slow but I think he was having email problems and was working on a new site. As soon as I did reach him I had the gg's within a few days. Good luck!
    Rory

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why would you “hate fresnel”?
    Yeah! What’s wrong with fresnels?

I think the Cham 5x7 has a beautiful screen.

You could try Maxwell, though. (Adding “though” at the end sounds a bit Trumpian, though.)
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post

Nothing is wrong with them if they are designed to be used with the camera, are properly positioned and your loupe is focused on the grain side of the gg.

Lenses have fall off center to edge, all of them not just wide angles. The proper fresnel spreads the light evenly across the gg viewing area.

A plain gg by itself can not equally spread the light edge to edge and corner to corner.

If you shoot 35mm or MF SLR cameras made since the early 60s, except for some former east block cameras, they all use a fresnel. Did you complain about those fresnel screens, or didn’t you know that their wasn’t one?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post

You could try Maxwell, though. (Adding “though” at the end sounds a bit Trumpian, though.)
    Yeah, Maxwell screens are terrific. Although, they are a bit pricey. Jim, you should go for the best, though.

Jim Sidinger

Rory,
    Thanks for the reply. I had already found this email address and used it with a message on 2/2 but still had heard no reply. Also, I had not seen a reference on a recent purchase from him. That's why I asked here. I'll try again, though. Email problems can be a pain for both sides.
    Best, Jim

Jim Sidinger

On fresnel's...
    I understand that they work for some folks but I have had several and none have worked for me. I must admit that I've never had a Maxwell but, given the price, I've never felt I wanted to 'experiment' with it. I just seem not to be able to 'see' past the lines. A shortcoming on my part, I know.

I was living with the Ebony fresnel (not a bad quality version, for sure) until I got Steve's borosilicat gg to replace it. Sold the fresnel and never looked back.

Personal preference, but I do appreciate the responses, Jim

Jim Sidinger

Keith,
    I think the Chamonix 5x7 has a beautiful screen too, but it is just gg and not fresnel (at least the 5x7 back which came with my 45H-1 wasn't). There was a fresnel on the 45H-1 4x5 back, and it was pretty, but I had the same problem with it as I have had with others. Already have removed the fresnel, though. (oops, did I say 'though'?)
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by denverjims View Post
    On fresnel's...
    I understand that they work for some folks but I have had several and none have worked for me. I must admit that I've never had a Maxwell but, given the price, I've never felt I wanted to 'experiment' with it. I just seem not to be able to 'see' past the lines. A shortcoming on my part, I know.

I was living with the Ebony fresnel (not a bad quality version, for sure) until I got Steve's borosilicat gg to replace it. Sold the fresnel and never looked back.

Personal preference, but I do appreciate the responses, Jim
    Why don’t they work for you?