Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ilford film came unsealed

New Ilford film came unsealed

I bought 5 boxes of Ilford HP5 5x7 film from B&H shipped to California for a road trip and while packing my gear noticed one of the boxes did not have the tape sealing the box. I am just paranoid about it. Anyone else has had this experience? It is very unusual isn't it?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: New Ilford film came unsealed

No tape at all, or tape broken? Inner bag sealed?

No matter, is likely not accept it.

2 weeks ago I had a box of Ilford 8x10 arrive from B&H with 3M tape on one side, but the manufacturers label that tapes around the box was broken. Ilford does not seal the inside film it’s just bagged (not sealed) inside the triple box. I wasn’t happy but it could have been just the shipping (the inner box bouncing inside the outer box).

I shot a couple of sheets, developed it, and didn’t have any issues.

If you’re really paranoid you could sacrifice one shot and develop it before you use them for an important assignment.

There is no tape on one end. I do not see any residue like someone had removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    There is no tape on one end. I do not see any residue like someone had removed it.
    What did B&H say when you called them?

Your film is probably fine - the seal was most likely broken in the course of shipping and handling. While I have not yet encountered broken seals on boxes of film, I see the Ilford seal broken all the time on boxes of Ilford papers 16x20 and larger, yet the contents are always good. It seems important to note that in these cases the scotch/3M tape has never been broken. I would be more concerned about your film (and my paper) if the scotch/3M tape were broken as well. Finally, as you probably already know, retailers usually will not accept returns on sensitized materials unless the materials were beyond their expiration date when purchased, or the retailer sent you something you did not order.

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

It's unusual. In fact, I've never seen that before and I've been using Ilford sheet films for decades. I'd take a sheet out and take a photo, just to make sure all is good.

Eric Woodbury

I'm not sure B&H customer service knows about film. I received some 4x5 sheet film from them and one of the boxes was damaged. The shipping box had been crushed and the film box was bent and had a hole in it. I asked customer service what to do and I suggested they just send new and I'd toss the box. It was obvious the box could never be sold and nobody would ever buy it. Customer service told me to open the box and see if the film was damaged. !?! I asked a second time, reminded them that it was photo sensitive, and what to do? This time I got a different agent. I returned the box and they sent me a new one after they had received the damaged goods.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

this will not stand...my next shipment - anything like this, you bet I'll be on their case!

I had a 100 sheet box of Fomatone arrive from B&H this week. The label was ripped. It hadn't been cut, looks like a simple shock in shipping. The other end tape was secure. If I sent it back, Foma would end up paying for something that is normal B&H shipping. I taped it shut and put it in the fridge.

B&H, free shipping.......... I ordered 2, 25sht. packs and a 100 sheet box. The 1st 25sht was shipped immediately, the 2nd 25sht pack and the 100 sheet box shipped a week later, same day, two separate boxes. Total of 3 boxes, about 10 feet of pillow pack, all,of it could have fit into a smaller box and been packaged better.

In all 3 boxes the paper was placed at the bottom of a very tight fitting box no cushion under or around, then pillow pack to fill the top.

Compare to the way KEH ships a camera. Those boxes would survive a 6 foot drop. Unique photo sent me a 25 sheet box of 8x10 Ilford sheet film, arrived today, in good shape,,1st class mail, un padded envelope, lucky.