Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ilford film came unsealed

Eric Woodbury

Re: New Ilford film came unsealed

I just received 40 rolls of Ilford 120 film from Samys in LA. Much cheaper, shorter trip for me and the packaging was good. It was free shipping. Not a big fan of FedX ground. They will leave boxes in my drive behind a car or on top of trash can or in the bushes at the road. They don't want to walk those last 50'.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I had a 100 sheet box of Fomatone arrive from B&H this week. The label was ripped. It hadn't been cut, looks like a simple shock in shipping. The other end tape was secure. If I sent it back, Foma would end up paying for something that is normal B&H shipping. I taped it shut and put it in the fridge.

B&H, free shipping.......... I ordered 2, 25sht. packs and a 100 sheet box. The 1st 25sht was shipped immediately, the 2nd 25sht pack and the 100 sheet box shipped a week later, same day, two separate boxes. Total of 3 boxes, about 10 feet of pillow pack, all,of it could have fit into a smaller box and been packaged better.

In all 3 boxes the paper was placed at the bottom of a very tight fitting box no cushion under or around, then pillow pack to fill the top.

Compare to the way KEH ships a camera. Those boxes would survive a 6 foot drop. Unique photo sent me a 25 sheet box of 8x10 Ilford sheet film, arrived today, in good shape,,1st class mail, un padded envelope, lucky.
    We were the first lab to have Kodak Versamat processors and Kodak assigned 2 of their tech reps to our AF labs. We had 6 of the Versamats. The chemistry was packaged in boxes that Kodak called “cubetainers” that their reps said were unbreakable. To prove it to us they took us outside and one went onto the roof of our building and threw it onto our driveway. It bounced a couple of times but did not spill chemistry!
    However when replacing chemistry we would balance a cubetainer on top of the Versamat and one day one fell onto the floor. About 4 ˝ feet high. It split open and we had aerial chemistry all over the place!

ahhh, Versamat processors. I miss Versamats, taping leaders, listening for the film to drop into the basket.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    ahhh, Versamat processors. I miss Versamats, taping leaders, listening for the film to drop into the basket.
    We were running long roll 5 and 9” aerial film. The fun was when the corners of the leader weren’t cut just right or the leader was not quite straight and the film never came out!

Fortunately that was usually with practice missions and not with critical stuff! But it did occasionally happen.

Our film didn’t drop into a basket. It was taken up on empty film spools.
    Sometimes we didn’t have an empty spool. Then we would go into the film locker, take a full roll, unroll it, throw it away and use the spool.

Our squadron had a standing order with Kodak for film and it came in every month, even though we never used that much. So we had a good supply of spools, when needed!

But this was in the early 60s.

It was too late to call B&H today so I sent an email to their customer service requesting a replacement. Thanks for all your input.

B&H came through with an RMA and FedEx shipping label for A replacement!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    B&H came through with an RMA and FedEx shipping label for A replacement!
    Did you ask them if this has been a problem?

A week and a half ago my wife had her knee replaced. While it was quick surgery and she was home the same day her doctor believes in his patients doing pt while reporting in to him daily on the computer. One thing he wants to monitor is her temperature to monitor for infection.
    As I only have an IR thermometer and he wants an oral temperature I bought an oral thermometer from Walmart. It is filled with something other them mercury or alcohol. My wife put it under her tongue the first time and the glass bulb shattered in her mouth.
    Walmart refunded the cost and tax and assured me that the manufacturer would contact me. I’m still waiting. I think B&H is more reliable!

Hi Bob,

Glad the thermometer wasn’t mercury. No I didn’t get an explanation and don’t think B&H has one. I am getting a replacement so am happy with their customer service.

I've wrote to B&H in their customer survey about how they package stuff. Breakables against one side and bubble wrap on the other.
    Last edited by jtomasella; 25-Feb-2020 at 04:49. Reason: didn't quote

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I had a 100 sheet box of Fomatone arrive from B&H this week. The label was ripped. It hadn't been cut, looks like a simple shock in shipping. The other end tape was secure. If I sent it back, Foma would end up paying for something that is normal B&H shipping. I taped it shut and put it in the fridge.

B&H, free shipping.......... I ordered 2, 25sht. packs and a 100 sheet box. The 1st 25sht was shipped immediately, the 2nd 25sht pack and the 100 sheet box shipped a week later, same day, two separate boxes. Total of 3 boxes, about 10 feet of pillow pack, all,of it could have fit into a smaller box and been packaged better.

In all 3 boxes the paper was placed at the bottom of a very tight fitting box no cushion under or around, then pillow pack to fill the top.

Compare to the way KEH ships a camera. Those boxes would survive a 6 foot drop. Unique photo sent me a 25 sheet box of 8x10 Ilford sheet film, arrived today, in good shape,,1st class mail, un padded envelope, lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I'm not sure B&H customer service knows about film. I received some 4x5 sheet film from them and one of the boxes was damaged. The shipping box had been crushed and the film box was bent and had a hole in it. I asked customer service what to do and I suggested they just send new and I'd toss the box. It was obvious the box could never be sold and nobody would ever buy it. Customer service told me to open the box and see if the film was damaged. !?! I asked a second time, reminded them that it was photo sensitive, and what to do? This time I got a different agent. I returned the box and they sent me a new one after they had received the damaged goods.
    I've wrote to B&H in their customer survey about how they package stuff. Breakables against one side and bubble wrap on the other.