Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soap stone darkroom sink?

Soap stone darkroom sink?

I found a place that will make custom soapstone sinks. Anyone heard of one being used in a darkroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Re: Soap stone darkroom sink?

Wow! How much are they gonna nick you for that? Soapstone isn't cheap, and needs to be sealed, then a bit of higher than normal maintenance to stay leakproof. But hey, if it's in the budget go for it, it'll last several lifetimes.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

i had soapstone counters and sinks in my lab. they are very nice but do require sealing the stone... not a big deal diy.

recycled soapstone lab sinks may be a cheaper alternative and in very abundant supply at reclaim outlets.

soapstone sinks are great but heavy as all heck. you'll need to build it in with lots of support.

Soapstone doesn't need sealing, that's one of the benefits of it. https://www.soapstonecompany.com/soapstone-faq/

You better know you will never ever ever ever ever move.

Drew Wiley

Soapstone is quite soft, that's why it was the choice material for bowls and amulets among Calif. Indians. It's appeal in a kitchen is that it retains heat remarkably well. I simply cannot imagine factoring the wight, expense, and fragility of it for a darkroom space when there are such better options.

I think it's an interesting choice., soapstone has been used in chemistry labs for a long time and surely will be impervious to darkroom chemicals. Cost of course is relative—what's expensive for one person may not be for another. I've learned not to try to spend other people's money for them...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I'm not sure why you'd want to bother but go ahead.
    -Chris

Drew Wiley

I doubt that any modern chem lab orders it. Certainly not around here in the very heart of pharmaceutical and biotech R&D. I sold fabrication equip to their shops, hospitals and govt labs too, and synthetics were the norm. It is affected by some reagents and also can crack unless the piece has been cut quite selectively; and those cracks can allow things through. I certainly wouldn't call it impervious. You also have to be careful re-sanding it due to certain nasty minerals, because it does scratch and gouge quite easily. But it can be a pretty surface if darkroom cosmetics are a priority when the lights are on. Your fixtures and floor will need to be reinforced for the extra weight, unless someone if supplying this product rather thin (which would indeed tempt its brittleness). But if you can afford it ...

About 20 years ago looked into having a soapstone sink fabricated for my darkroom by a local kitchen/bath store. Estimate was in the mid 4 figures. On the way home and about 3 minutes away from my home I stopped at a tag/garage sale. They had a very large heavy duty SS sink on their lawn. No price and was told it came from a local dog kennel and was used to collect pee and poop from the dogs, so was priced accordingly at $20.00. Served me for many years. Over the years twice have come across several large stone sinks from labs that had closed that could be had for "you remove it and it's yours".