Thread: Arca Swiss Mounting Plate and Ritter 8x10

Arca Swiss Mounting Plate and Ritter 8x10

I am at a loss right now and I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am assuming it is user error, but I am stumped.

I use Arca swiss style plates on all my cameras. I like the Acratech plates so I use those most often. When I attach any Arca plate (I have tried multiple brands) the plate itself still spins on the camera despite the fact I can have tightened the plate as much as I can (not overly tight, just the normal tightness I use on all cameras. I am using a non-adapted screw for the connection. When I attach the camera directly to the tripod it is rock solid! It almost seems like the screw is a little too long for the connection, but I can tighten that screw tight, and the plate still moves a lot. Now I do not have a problem going headless, but I really like using a head!

Does anyone have any tips as to what I might be able to do? I do not want to tighten to much and cause damage, but beyond that I am not sure what to do! My other camera's do not have this issue at all.

I have even borrowed other heads, but it is obviously (I think) not a head issue it is a mounting plate issue. As I stated earlier I have tried multiple plates.

Thanks All for any advice you may have!

Re: Arca Swiss Mounting Plate and Ritter 8x10

I have that exact issue with my old MF folder cameras. To fix, I have a roll of thin cork material that I cut to the same size as the plate; for one of the cameras I have to use a double layer. Placing the cork material between the plate and the camera takes up just enough thread that I can tighten things right down. And, the cork helps keep the camera from twisting on the plate. However, I've never tried this solution with LF.

Photographer

If the screw is too long, get a shorter screw—it’s a hardware store item. Alternately, file the screw down.
    Keith Pitman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    If the screw is too long, get a shorter screw—it’s a hardware store item. Alternately, file the screw down.
    Agree, sounds like the mounting screw you're using is a tad too long.
    If you don't find it at the fastener store, B&H and Adorama have photo-specific screws from a lot of the major brands.

Also something like this
    https://www.jobu-design.com/Surefoot...n-55_p_29.html

will prevent rotation with its shelf on one end.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    Not necessarily so easy to do. The Really Right Stuff plates, for example, need a specific length of the screw shank without threads to allow the screw to thread into the plate, then slide up/down the plate. I looked and looked at my local hardware store for a shorter replacement screw that would work, but no luck.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I did take the camera and my base plate to the hardware store and I found a solution! They filed the screw down for me for free! On a side note it made some of the fine folks that work at my small town hardware store super excited to see my camera. It was a fun afternoon.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by matts View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I did take the camera and my base plate to the hardware store and I found a solution! They filed the screw down for me for free! On a side note it made some of the fine folks that work at my small town hardware store super excited to see my camera. It was a fun afternoon.
    That’s why I said hardware store, not Home Depot!
    Keith Pitman

The QR plates for Mamiya 645/RB67, etc have pins that fit into holes in the camera body. They don't spin. It's not beyond the realm of possibility to drill a couple of small holes into the camera baseplate and use one of the Mamiya plates, or drill a couple of small holes into a regular plate and run a small screw into the camera base plate. Holes only have to be a few mm deep. and if there's a tripod socket, it goes a lot deeper than anything you'd need for spin prevention. The other thing that would work is to just screw (or glue if it's a wooden camera) a small piece of wood or aluminum etc to the baseplate so it bears against the front or back of the QR plate.

Check out these Kwik Stand plates:

https://store.kesslercrane.com/produ...k-release.html

Saw them in a Ben Horne blog post or video.