Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effective Drypacks

Effective Drypacks

I am keeping my enlarger (Saunders LPL 4 X 5) in my garage. I live in Jupiter, FL and concerned about the humidity in our garage. I have looked into drypacks and am unsure which ones to get. The enlarger is wrapped in a breathable hood and the garage is cooler than outside but not air conditioned. I would keep the dry pack inside the hood. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Effective Drypacks

I have used the pelican brand ones that come in a flat can. They have worked well and I like that it gives you a color patch to tell when it is recharged (in a warm oven).
    -Chris

Could you store the smaller, more sensitive components in a conditioned space? Thanks for the reminder. I have a couple of enlargers in an unconditioned room destined to become conditioned and turned into a darkroom. I ought to pull the condensers and lenses into in-house storage to prevent fungus. I don't think the Omegas would otherwise be affected as they are cosmetically challenged anyway.

I keep all other components in an AC environment. Only the enlarger is in the garage.

Big Negs Rock!

Get a small dehumidifier and keep it in the breathable hood. I have one in my darkroom and it works great.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Weapon safes are the worst place for rust, unless a stocking filled with cat sand is placed inside and renewed whenever humid air comes in. Mold thrives in the dark, so keep the light on

Big Wehman, Toyo 5x7" and a small Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I have used the pelican brand ones that come in a flat can. They have worked well and I like that it gives you a color patch to tell when it is recharged (in a warm oven).
    IMO, with those Pelican ones, you pay a lot for packaging and a brand name. Indicator Silica Gel is pretty much a commodity. If you don't have the enlarger "sealed" from the outside air, I don't think any amount of desiccant will help.

These desiccant packs can be "renewed" with a long bake at low temp.

Drew Wiley

Get a machinery cover. These need to breathe. You apparently realize that. Underneath you can put a little portable desiccant container like Dri-Out. Some of these have built-in fans; but the powder desiccant itself needs to be periodically replaced once it has dissolved. The powder is fairly cheap and available at many hardware stores, but don't ever let any of it touch any part of your equipment itself. Indicator Silica Gel is too expensive and inefficient for anything but small sealed containers, and would need to be frequently baked out. Products like Dri-Out and Damp Rid seem to contain calcium chloride, but I'd have to check the MSDS to be certain.

I'd check with your local auto body and custom auto shops. They usually have great solutions for addressing humidity problems. My local shop totally recommended multiple dehumidifiers running 24/7.

Drew Wiley

Hope you don't mind a massive utility bill if dehumidifiers are running full time.