Thread: Goerz Dagor SV?

Goerz Dagor SV?

There is currently a Goerz Dagor SV (150mm 5.6) lens in the FS section...that I really have no intention of purchasing, but am very interested to know more about. Apparently Swiss-made, and corrected for infinity. I cannot find reference to this lens (the "SV" part) anywhere. Anybody?

Re: Goerz Dagor SV?

I could be mistaken, failing memory and all that, but I b'lieve it isn't a dagor design but is a plasmat type. I'd swear that there was a discussion somewhere -- here, perhaps, perhaps not -- some years ago in which a former employee of Goerz' last US-owned incarnation explained it.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I could be mistaken, failing memory and all that, but I b'lieve it isn't a dagor design but is a plasmat type. I'd swear that there was a discussion somewhere -- here, perhaps, perhaps not -- some years ago in which a former employee of Goerz' last US-owned incarnation explained it.
    This is my memory to Dan.

Years ago Geoff at Lens & Repro showed me two Goerz lenses with the name "Dagor" on them that were not dagor designed lenses. He said that one was a plasmat and the other was a dialyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Years ago Geoff at Lens & Repro showed me two Goerz lenses with the name "Dagor" on them that were not dagor designed lenses. He said that one was a plasmat and the other was a dialyte.
    Don't remember exactly if it was Jeoff or someone else at Lens & Repro, but when I inquired about a "newer" Dagor that they had FS, I was told that it didn't have the coverage of a classic Dagor which would back your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Don't remember exactly if it was Jeoff or someone else at Lens & Repro, but when I inquired about a "newer" Dagor that they had FS, I was told that it didn't have the coverage of a classic Dagor which would back your post.
    Not to be too disagreeable, but not all "classic Dagors" have as much coverage as claimed. This https://www.largeformatphotography.i...09-Lousy-Dagor long and sometimes tedious discussion has some hilarious bits.

Bob Schwalberg mentions these in his history of the Dagor in the January 1972 issue of Popular Photography. At the time of this writing these were not yet available. There were to be two versions, the "SL" for close-up reproduction and the "SV" for infinity to 10X focal length range. These were to be f/5.6 lenses, "a modification of the standard Dagor design" having the positive meniscus third lens in each cell air spaced, which, well, looks an awful lot like a plasmat. No mention of the coverage. I may have something by Art Kramer about these lenses also. I may have posted this information here in years past.

There's gap in my Goerz literature; I have a 1970 price list, by which time G.O.C. was owned by Kollmorgen. It of course doesn't list the -SL or the -SV. Then I don't have anything until a 1975 price list from Schneider Corporation of America. Anyone have any G.O.C price lists in this gap? I'd be curious to know about the described Swiss origins of the example in question. Is it so marked explicitly? The serial number seems low and its box is marked "Kollmorgen"; I had thought Swiss production of the U.S. Goerz lenses didn't start until after the acquisition by S.C.A.

David

And now (wait for it...) - any knowledge of the 150 SV's performance characteristics?

The lens sounds like a pretty rare bird... someone's going to have to step up and try this one. After all, it just might be the Holy Grail of 150mm lenses!

...my thought exactly! I did own a Swiss made Goerz lens a few years back...a Blue-Dot Trigor that (at least my version) was beyond phenomenal!