Thread: Canon pro 1000 for digital negatives

Canon pro 1000 for digital negatives

Hello,
    Has somebody successfully made digital negative with the canon pro 1000 for platinum palladium prints?
    Thank for your advice.

Re: Canon pro 1000 for digital negatives

I remember reading somewhere... could have been over at photrio.... where someone struggled making digital negatives with the 1000. I'm pretty sure its doable, though. Heck, we've made digital paper negs with a Ricoh laser printer in my classroom for gums and cyanotypes!

Having no value or worth in your's eyes, Here’s a remarkable book by Peter Mrhar on making digital negs. "Easy Digital Negatives: Historical and Alternative Photography"

Quote Originally Posted by Barlouka View Post
    Hello,
    Has somebody successfully made digital negative with the canon pro 1000 for platinum palladium prints?
    Thank for your advice.
    I successfully make digital negatives on a $50 HP printer. I'd hope that a printer that costs over a grand would be at least as successful. (In fact I'd expect it to be 20 times better!)

I've done considerable research on whether I could use my Pro-10 for digital negatives. Almost all of my research has come back with the following result from the Internet: "you can only use Epson printers" While I wouldn't recommend the Pro-100 as that's not a piment-based ink, the Pro-10, I've found works absolutely fine for the Cyanotypes and Van Dyke Browns I've done. I don't see why the Pro-1000 wouldn't produce excellent, if not better quality digital negatives.

Each alt process requires it's own tone curve applied to the negative, and almost all of the standard/example tone curves (and printer settings) you'll find for each process are for Epson printers. You'll likely have to find the tone curve that works with your printer for platinum palladium, but once found it should offer a good starting point for all your future platinum palladium prints. The Peter Mrhar book on Digital Negatives is a great resource, and I've found all the settings he claims potentially need to be changed are available on my Pro-10. I would assume that should be the case for the 1000 as well.

I'd start with small negatives on a process that takes a similar tone curve to platinum palladium. (hopefully cheaper) Once you get the contrast on your negative you're looking for, try it with smaller platinum prints. Use that as a standard moving forward and fine tune per image.

It is possible to make digital negatives with the Canon Pro-1000, speaking from direct experience. I have settled on using black inks as i haven’t been able to find a color that blocks UV well enough to give me the required density. I don’t have a lot of recent examples as I have mostly been printing from 8x10 negatives, but I could dig up some examples if you want.

It has taken me a while to get a process/negatives that I am happy with and it probably would have been easier with an Epson. For my needs the Canon is perfectly suitable and at least to my eye delivers prints with full tonal range. I can’t really comment on smoothness(i.e. inkjet artifacts) as most of the negatives I’ve printed have come from Delta 3200 negatives so the film grain tends to make that a non issue.

Having said that if I was going to only make digital negatives I would buy one of the Epson printers as you get much more control and there is more support and existing systems for making digital negatives. As i primarily use 8x10 film for my Pd-Pt prints it didn’t factor heavily into the decision to buy the Canon.

A friend of mine is a real master of digital negatives. His general opinion on digital negatives is as long as the printer has a true photo black and the profile is good you should be able to. There are two ways to manage this, pay someone to make a profile for you or manage one yourself through testing and adjusting curves in Photoshop. If you are interested in going that route, you can check out his article on it here. I have printed a ton with the PRO-1000 and it'a a really good printer. I'm sure you can make it work.

-Joshua