Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mountain Lion near Santa Cruz

Drew Wiley

Re: Mountain Lion near Santa Cruz

Always blame the ladies, Bob? Well, they blame us for everything that goes wrong, so I guess that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Human fatalities: what is the most dangerous animal? - the mosquito, and they'll never leave us alone.
    I have heard entomologists and immunologists who study mosquitoes estimate that half of the human beings who ever died did so because of a mosquito carried illness.
    -Chris

But even the skeets are dying

Here they have become tiny, invisible to me

all the bugs are dying out here in Fly Over land

Used to be I had to stop often to clean the bugs off the windshield, now never

Birds are moving North, 1000's of Black birds attacked my yard last week for worms and maybe voles
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

We've got a lot of regular blackbirds, but the beautiful and melodious redwing blackbird flocks, once plentiful, are getting smaller and smaller. Saw a migrating flock a few days ago. They're dependent of native marshes, which have not only been widely drained, but basically fumigated by farm insecticides. Now somebody out of state with zero education in the issue wants to divert a lot of the water that is already in short supply; but I won't elaborate. The irony is that as more corridors of native grasses and bugs are removed, and the more chemicals need to be used to gain the upper hand, and there goes all the natural pest predators like ladybugs too. Farmers end up in a vicious cycle where insecticide-resistant super-pest insects get harder and harder to kill. Super boll weevils almost destroyed the SoCal cotton farms. Yes, small organic farming operation are catching on; but they can't prevent drift-over from what's being sprayed in the adjacent big operations, or even things like freeway exhaust if near one of those. But then there are critters like coyotes, deer, skunks, possums, raccoons, wild turkeys, and now even mtn lions that are successfully adapting.

This happens on Coastside trails more often than most realize.. Notice the expression on this Lion. They typically don't want human contact in any way.
    Know when on these trails, YOU'RE in their turf and subject to their ways. If you're not willing to accept this reality, do not enter their turf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar_Montara trail.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	201387

Bernice

Near Loveland, Colorado, off the road to Rocky Mountain National Park, one attacked 5 horses (one had to be put down), then chomped a lady's shoulder, then attacked a deputy, and was finally tracked and killed by a wildlife officer. A busy day.

I used to live in Cupertino probably no more than a mile or two from this location. Never experienced anything like this. There are a number of highly wooded areas there and this is probably where it happened. Now I live in Palm Springs where we don't have that . . . . or do we? After I moved into my new home a number of years ago in a new development, my neighbor several doors up the street went out on his back patio one morning to have a cup of coffee at sun up and laying in the grass in his back yard on the other side of his swimming pool was a mountain lion. He made a hasty retreat back into his house.

Yesterday there was a mountain lion sighting in San Francisco near Russian Hill

https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/...o-15344437.php

-Darren

Drew Wiley

It was a rather young confused cat that had wandered all over town, and was too small to be safely tranquilized, so they successfully netted him somewhere downtown, and released him in the woods well to the south, where they believe he had first come from. Around the same time, one of numerous bears coming out of the hills to enjoy an LA swimming pool woke up a woman lounging there, scratching her and once biting her leg. They cornered several bears known to roam that area; but so far, no DNA match, so the hunt for the culprit goes on.

Drew Wiley

Now that particular kitty is suspected of having chomped a couple of kangaroos in the SF zoo.