Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple Q for LF newby: Lens shade (trad 35mm type) vs. Compendium Lens Hood

Simple Q for LF newby: Lens shade (trad 35mm type) vs. Compendium Lens Hood

There's a world of difference in cost. Coming from 35mm and MF, I've been largely an on-lens round screw-in filter thread mounted lens shade type of guy. These are cheap. The Compendium Lens Hoods.... well, they're kind of pricey (espeically in Linhof land). Wonder what folks are actually using? Yes with square filters, the CLH can be handy...but how common is this? Probably more often than I'd expect. Just curious before laying down more $'s. Thank you.

Re: Simple Q for LF newby: Lens shade (trad 35mm type) vs. Compendium Lens Hood

Then maybe you’ve learned that a screw in hood on 35mm, DSLR or MF really can’t work.
    For instance, with a zoom lens it doesn’t vignette at the shortest focal length and if it doesn’t vignette at the shortest focal length it can’t be effective at the longest focal length, unless the hood adjusts like a Kaiser or Heliopan.

It certainly can’t work on large format if using back movements.

The problem with fixed lens hoods on LF is twofold: First, if you get one that is the right size for the focal length lens you are using, then any camera movement at all is going to cause vignetting. If you get one that allows lots of movement, then it really is to short to do its job correctly. A compendium shade is adjustable; you rack it out till it starts vignetting and the rack it back to optimum position for whatever lens and camera configuration you have.

All that said, I never use a compendium shade in the field; they're just to bulky and fiddly to drag around outside. I've got a small bellows that I've been thinking of constructing a "field compendium" from , but I haven't got around to it.

Instead, I have an old Voss gel filter holder with adjustable barn doors. It clips on to all my lenses with a spring clip (I don't have any real large ones) and the two flaps are easily positioned optimally. It's not quite a compendium; only two sides shaded, but does the job in the field when the sun is in the lens' field of view.

You might want to look for one used on eBay or wherever. Here's a link to an old eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voss-Barn-D...-/233424957679

Many just use their hat, hand, darkslide or whatever to shade the lens when the sun is a problem.

Best,

Doremus

Yup, a hat or dark slide works OK or me. I have Voss barn doors as well but they're limited as to which lenses they fit (not the big Kodaks!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yep, use my hand, hat, darkslide, body to shade the lens when necessary. After 40 years of LF photography, I've never noticed any loss of contrast, etc, due to bright light hitting the lens; and, I photographed a lot of snow scenes in bright sunlit conditions.

Les

Dinkum makes a shade that should fit most cameras that have a hot shoe. I've looked up Calumet and Cambo compendium and they usually go for $45-65....and they should be fairly well adaptable. That's a better option than paying 15 bucks for each and when you accumulate 10-15+ lenses....it just adds up.

Les

I use an Ebony brand, but this is about the same. Use it with a dark slide:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150805-REG

I own all kind of lens shades. Rubber, metal, foldable hoods, etc. Also compendiums, barn doors, in several brands.
    At the end, outdoors, I tend to use mostly circular filters and threaded foldable rubber hoods. I dislike plastic squared filters (although I have several ones). One foldable threaded rubber lens hood can be used for different focal lengths with adapters. They are way lighter and easier to carry and to use than compendiums. I must say that I rarely use -extreme- movements, maybe a bit of tilt or swing, if any. Just check the size that works for each focal length, you may need a bigger one with an adapter.

My issue is to misplace the adapters, so I always keep the adapter (and a cable release) with every lens inside a zipped plastic bag.

Indoors, I use whatever I have on hand, either compendiums or threaded hoods. Or depending on the focal length... for my widest (and longest) lenses, compendiums are maybe the "best" choice. For "normal" wide to long lenses, I do not use to need a compendium.

But as said, if you plan to take the most of your camera displacement wise, a compendium is advisable.

Huub

I use an Ambico lens shade, that clips tothe 67mm filter rings that i have standardized on. I guess it was made for something like a Mamiya RB or RZ, but it works very well on a 4x5 as it is fully adjustable for lenses from about 90mm until the 500mm i sometimes use.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I use an Ebony brand, but this is about the same. Use it with a dark slide:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150805-REG
    +1 I use the Ebony shade clip with the screen protector too.

Mike