Thread: Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f4.8 cla- replace "glue" inside

Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f4.8 cla- replace "glue" inside

Hello!
    I'm completely new to LF. However, I recently bought this old lens that suffered from fungus on the back of the last element in the first group. I want to take care of that but did not expect to find some deteriorated "glue" around it's mount.
    Now I wonder how to deal with that and would really appreciate some advice. From searching I know some people on this forum has knowledge/experience with this lens or the 250mm version (I was inspired to buy this lens after reading Arne Croell's article on Zeiss Oberkochen for example) but any and all help is welcome.

If it’s supposed to be there, exactly what is it and what should I use to replace it? I wish I could just discard it and leave it like that, without getting further issues later on.

It’s strange because gluing that surface together with the surface on the shutter-side would make it impossible to unscrew the from group altogether. Could it be that it just holds things in place on the lens side and was dry when the front group was screwed into the shutter?

Is it something else?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5493.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	200694

Name:	IMG_5494.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	200695

Name:	IMG_5495.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	200696

Name:	IMG_5496.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	200697

Side note: the shutter fits exactly in a 50mm lensboard hole which seems unusual for compur. The lens was in a Graflex XL helical mount when I received it.
    Serial: Nr4237281

Re: Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f4.8 cla- replace "glue" inside

My first thought is, if it's out of the light path, who cares, leave it alone. Clean it up (the fungus amongus) and put it back together and make pictures. Enjoy the lens.

Re: Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f4.8 cla- replace "glue" inside

I guess I'll do just that thanks. I have cleaned of some of the fungus and might get at it again more thoroughly after testing the lens. I'm still curious if anyone else here has disassembled this lens before and have tips/info. Also because I might do some more cleaning on it, cheers