Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to buy this Beseler enlarger?

Is it worth it to buy this Beseler enlarger?

So I know the whereabouts of a big Beseler enlarger for sale. I don't know the model number, or even if the wiring is sound (but I am good at rewiring things.)

It's big, probably weighs seventy-five pounds, with the main inscription on it being "Beseler" and below it "Universal Colorhead." The head on it is about the size of a small 4x5 camera. The front bellows look like they might have a couple of pinholes, but I don't know that it would really matter. All the mechanical components look sound. It has a timer switch with it, and a 35mm film carrier. The base plate is bare wood--nothing to hold the paper. It has no bulb.

The man (who is not photographic, knows nothing about it, and does not haggle) wants $200 for it. I do not foresee it going anywhere soon.

Should I put some money aside for a couple months and buy this?

I can go take pictures soon if it helps identify it.

Re: Is it worth it to buy this Beseler enlarger?

We need to see pictures.

Eric Woodbury

I agree, photographs. And for $200, it should be in good shape or special. Pinholes are not a problem except they indicate worse for the future. I have found several for much less, in fine shape. Sometimes I have to drive a few hundred miles, but that's for something special or with lens or neg holders or darkroom stuff.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    So I know the whereabouts of a big Beseler enlarger for sale. I don't know the model number, or even if the wiring is sound (but I am good at rewiring things.)

It's big, probably weighs seventy-five pounds, with the main inscription on it being "Beseler" and below it "Universal Colorhead." The head on it is about the size of a small 4x5 camera. The front bellows look like they might have a couple of pinholes, but I don't know that it would really matter. All the mechanical components look sound. It has a timer switch with it, and a 35mm film carrier. The base plate is bare wood--nothing to hold the paper. It has no bulb.

The man (who is not photographic, knows nothing about it, and does not haggle) wants $200 for it. I do not foresee it going anywhere soon.

Should I put some money aside for a couple months and buy this?

I can go take pictures soon if it helps identify it.
    Yes. Pictures.

You can probably get it for less than 200. I know somebody giving away a color Beseler 4x5. You won't face much competition for it, but on the flip side you may not see another one in your area for a while so if its in excellent shape it might be worth $200 to you. You might not ever get that back if you sell it though.

We really do need pictures

It could even be a 2X3 enlarger, which is fine, but will never work with 4X5

Read this intro to enlargers http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlar...-enlargers.htm

Also compare Google Images to what you are looking at https://www.google.com/search?q=bese...FqK-g3kzzWIdcM
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Good link!

If it's workable and you are ready to jump into real darkroom printing, get it!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Is it worth $200 ? Sounds like it might be a 45MX ? or 45 MCX ? If so, No. probably not worth $200...at least I would definitely not drop $200 on a Beseler.
    On the other hand if it had a working Minolta head...maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Is it worth $200 ? Sounds like it might be a 45MX ? or 45 MCX ? If so, No. probably not worth $200...at least I would definitely not drop $200 on a Beseler.
    I looked those up and they show similarities but look much newer. This is definitively a solidly antique piece of hardware.

I gladly paid a member here $200 in advance and drove 600 miles round trip for a lowly Beseler CB7

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...20Brochure.pdf

No lenses, I later bought NOS CB7 Condenser Head from another member here, $100 to add an option to existing Color Head

CB7 has power elevation and power focusing, with built in timer all operational from a wheelchair which I was using at that time

I considered the price paid very cheap.

A favorite game members play here, "I bought XYZ for 10% of what you paid."

To be fair, I have been given a 5 enlargers in the last 9 years and regret giving one away, as I need it now...

9 years ago ALL LF was garbage to many Pros and they dumped a lot back then, some still do...

YMMV

Then again, Beseler is one of the few still in business, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...CABEgKA2vD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Tin Can

If it's a CB7 it's worth the $200. If it has a nice lens on it and is another beseler, it might be worth the money. 70 pounds is about right for a 4x5 enlarger.