Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to buy this Beseler enlarger?

Re: Is it worth it to buy this Beseler enlarger?

Enlarger pricing is all about where you are and what you can find. I imagine there's even slimmer pickings in MS than here in GA. Of course as soon as you buy it, a free one or two will pop up!

Luckily at the moment the more the merrier so I've taken the freebies too. I've got 3 4x5 Beselers now. Two setup and working, one in reserve, perhaps for later use or modification...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I gladly paid a member here $200 in advance and drove 600 miles round trip for a lowly Beseler CB7

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-c...20Brochure.pdf

No lenses, I later bought NOS CB7 Condenser Head from another member here, $100 to add an option to existing Color Head

CB7 has power elevation and power focusing, with built in timer all operational from a wheelchair which I was using at that time

I considered the price paid very cheap.

A favorite game members play here, "I bought XYZ for 10% of what you paid."

To be fair, I have been given a 5 enlargers in the last 9 years and regret giving one away, as I need it now...

9 years ago ALL LF was garbage to many Pros and they dumped a lot back then, some still do...

YMMV

Then again, Beseler is one of the few still in business, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...CABEgKA2vD_BwE

Yup, prices for enlargers have been all over the place these past few years (past decade?).

Seems like prices have been on the rise lately though. I guess, I'm still living in the past. I remember seeing a Durst 138s out alongside a dumpster a few years back - nothing wrong with it. It killed me to walk away but, I had no way to get it home and no place to put it if I had gotten it there. I had a Beseler 45MX and an 45MCX. They're good sturdy machines for sure but I didn't care for size & weight and unwieldiness of the units and I really dis-liked the motorized lift - it generated ozone. I've had a few Omega D2 over the years. Some basket cases and one really nice D2-V. I've given them all away to members here and over on APUG, except the D2-V, I kept that one.

Ultimately, it comes down to supply and demand. If the buyer thinks its worth it...then it is. Nothing wrong with that.

I bought a 4x5 Beseler in 1973, the godawful blue paint. If the unit says "Universal Colorhead" on the filter it's probably pre "70's Blue" .

Before Blue, Grey, newer Black

Under Safe Light same

Lamps vary
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Enlarger pricing is all about where you are and what you can find. I imagine there's even slimmer pickings in MS than here in GA. Of course as soon as you buy it, a free one or two will pop up!

Luckily at the moment the more the merrier so I've taken the freebies too. I've got 3 4x5 Beselers now. Two setup and working, one in reserve, perhaps for later use or modification...
    exactly!

in some areas, large cities, people are dumping darkrooms in the trash so you may find them for free. i was lucky n got 3 enlargers sitting at the curb.

worth $200? yes they are. if you get it complete with condenser in descent condition. you will have to go over the entire thing to tighten her up and align everything, but definately worth the trouble for the long haul.

enjoy your new darkroom!

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    If it's a CB7 it's worth the $200. If it has a nice lens on it and is another beseler, it might be worth the money. 70 pounds is about right for a 4x5 enlarger.
    I definitely think it can do 4x5"--while it doesn't have a carrier for 4x5" the opening is definitely large enough.

Pics probably Monday.

Single lens or a turret?

If you have one or more top quality lenses on it that can really affect the value proposition.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    Single lens or a turret?

If you have one or more top quality lenses on it that can really affect the value proposition.
    No lens, but somebody threw in an enlarger lens (LTM) with a camera I bought. The enlarger appears to take an LTM lens.

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    No lens, but somebody threw in an enlarger lens (LTM) with a camera I bought. The enlarger appears to take an LTM lens.
    What lens?

Leica thread mount

Just be sure you get the condensers.