Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A question on FS rule enforcement

Re: A question on FS rule enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    My thinking is the other way round. Several years ago the classifieds were a little “Wild West” but there was (at least seemingly) 3x the activity. You just had to mentally filter things a bit which is a very easy task.

I agree.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, er, ah, have any of you posters who allege that our resident curmudgeons have driven new arrivals away asked the departees why they didn't stick around?

I don't recall seeing many announcements to the effect of "A curmudgeon bit me so I'm leaving."
    You must be new around here. Ha ha ha.

I have blocked a 2 nasty people, not over FS/WTB but just always rude to me in my early days here

Don't miss them at all

I also think a few have blocked me

Nobody is happy and helpful all day long...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, er, ah, have any of you posters who allege that our resident curmudgeons have driven new arrivals away asked the departees why they didn't stick around?

I don't recall seeing many announcements to the effect of "A curmudgeon bit me so I'm leaving."
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    My thinking is the other way round. Several years ago the classifieds were a little “Wild West” but there was (at least seemingly) 3x the activity. You just had to mentally filter things a bit which is a very easy task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a good point and I agree.
    I've had many good transactions here in the past...and even met some good people face-to-face in the process.
    Under the current rules and restrictions, the classified area here is pretty useless.

My take on it is this: if someone wants to “bump” an ad for something repeatedly and frequently to push the sale, then it gives me the chance to gather some data about that seller and their attitude towards the sale. If they appear “too eager/aggressive”, then I will likely avoid this sale item (and seller, in future) If they bump the ad twice a week, dropping the price by 5% each time, then I know they’re hot to get it off their hands, and contacting them to make an offer might bear fruit. There are all kinds of things you can glean from how a person presents an item they wish to sell, and knowing certain things can work in your favor. Allowing someone to push a sale item however they wish let’s me see some things I might not otherwise see, and to evaluate the seller to determine how likely/unlikely the purchase (and experience) would be satisfactory.

When browsing internet flea markets for equipment, not only do I look at the sellers star ratings, but if they have negative feedback, I look to see if the seller responds to it. I’ve seen sellers who reply to every instance of negative feedback by insulting the buyer horrifically. That is a seller I KNOW I don’t want to deal with. If a seller re-lists the same item over and over for months and never lowers the price, I stop watching that item because they won’t likely drop the price or consider lower offers. Etc. So I’m all for letting people present themselves however they wish in order to sell an item. More data, I say.

Is this site primarily a marketplace or a source of information and mutual assistance?

As I understand what the site is about, the complaints in this discussion -- gripes about bluntness aside -- are a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Excellent point, Dan, and I agree.

I was disappointed at first -- when we could have discussions in the marketplace threads, a lot of good information was shared about the equipment, etc. However, because this site was founded and is maintained primarily as a "source of information and mutual assistance" and the marketplace threads are not archived, that good info discussed in marketplace threads (instead on the main forum) is lost, thus defeating the purpose of this forum.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

I'm very new, but not young. Learned a ton already, and bought a few items at good prices. Always a few goodies thrown in--probably because of the sense of community. Nice in these times.

Can't comment on the previous rules, but think the current balance makes sense.

Curmudgeons? At times, for sure! Also, loads of patience, especially for us newbies. And often from the same person who was a curmudgeon five minutes before.

To the moderators: I'm grateful!

To the sellers: This is ONE of many outlets for you.

To the buyers: WTB also works well. Some sellers didn't know they were about to sell until prompted. Worked well already for me as one seeking to buy.

Suggestion (unless it exists and I missed it): Create a "Guiding Principles Statement" or whatever you want to call it. Purpose is to call folks IN, not call folks OUT, but establishes a purpose, a tone, a vision for where Large Format Photography, the endeavor not the Forum, is heading. This doesn't have to be prescriptive because it can list the various ways folks use the Forum. But it is a kind of gentle leadership and direction. It's a welcome that won't stop individual bad actors or slip ups, but it shows intention of the collective.

Thanks again to the Moderators! Really challenging, but also a real contribution.

I doubt I would have dived into Large Format had I not stumbled into this space. The marketing of goods was a big bonus, but not the essence for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A quick observation.

There's a recent thread in the "Lens and Lens Accessories" subforum about the Nikkor-M 300mm Q.

I note that, at least here on my machine, the 3 top threads at the bottom are all "For Sale" threads, and are all from 7+ years ago.

It has been said that threads in the FS subforum are not archived. Not sure what that means (don't come up on Google searches?) but they certainly get linked internally through that system. I wonder why "Similar Threads" list on the bottom there is populated with 75% ancient FS threads and I wonder if more healthy discussion inside such threads also raises them in "rank."

Again, just an observation.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Eric Woodbury

I like the FS and WTB sections. I check them regularly. As Vaughn noted, there is great info there. I get to see equipment that I would otherwise never know. I sell occasionally, too. Right now the bed in my studio is covered in gear that needs to go and I plan to offer it here. I don't want to deal with auctions when I can deal with friends. I understand wanting gear listed at the top all the time, but this is not an auction house and these ads are free. It's more of a bulletin board. Still it is hard to sort what has sold from what hasn't. Then all the emails through PM are a pain, too, as my PM box is always full.

I didn't join the Forum for the sale section, but for the information exchange. Times are changing though. Santa Barbara once had more photo stores than you could count and now none. Craigslist once had all manner and fashion of photo equipment and now it is new stuff and a Tiltall tripod that just won't sell despite it being bumped to the top for months now (and a good price).

What might make sense is more variables in the FS section: FS Darkroom, FS Large format, FS Medium format, etc. This makes more room at the top because there are more tops, easier searches, and maintains the rules. There will still be the grumps that aren't happy, but there are always grumps.