Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A question on FS rule enforcement

Re: A question on FS rule enforcement

I believe that the ability to dispose of and acquire used large format photographic equipment on this site is what keeps it alive. I don't think the role it plays should be underestimated.

Here's a challenge: Shut down the For Sale forum for a month and measure the overall traffic to the site. I expect that it would slow to a crawl.

95% of my total LF gear by volume/size, cost/value was not bought here

I don't buy film at all here. I have bought a little old paper

I don't buy chemistry here, or frames. matboard, etc

I have bought and been given a few books here. Thank you Jac! RIP

Almost every lens and camera was acquired elsewhere

My sinks did not come from here, nor my my Hass, or my contact frames, especially the big vacuum frame

A couple broken timers were acquired here, no I did not complain, the sellers may have not known...

One enlarger was bought here, but I had seen it before in person 300 miles away from my home

Three enlargers were given to me here by non members who joined just to give me the old stuff. Thank you! Another guy, same way, gave me a case of flashbulbs

I repeat most of my photographic gear come from outside this forum

My DSLR and it's lenses New stuff

And this is the ONLY forum I frequent, I don't post elsewhere

I have not sold much here either, but then I seldom sell

I don't and won't sell ANY ART anywhere

I come to LFPF many times a day for discussion, research and comradery

Lately i even post images, almost anything, but the image are all from flickr and can disappear in a flash...

What keeps the FLAME alive here is interaction among active posters

I post a lot to try to fan those flames and encourage others to join us

I don't use FakeBook either and I hear there are MANY selling there

These are the Good Old Days, enjoy this here, right now as is...
    Tin Can

Re: Tin Can

You bought a number of things from me through this site, Randy. Thank you for that.

Also, 70% of my large format equipment was bought here.
    Last edited by Jonathan Barlow; 15-Feb-2020 at 18:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    ...Here's a challenge: Shut down the For Sale forum for a month and measure the overall traffic to the site. I expect that it would slow to a crawl.
    I doubt it would. Fortunately, this site has a higher, non-commercial purpose and, therefore, is not sensitive to traffic reductions from those who use it primarily as a marketplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Barlow View Post
    I believe that the ability to dispose of and acquire used large format photographic equipment on this site is what keeps it alive. I don't think the role it plays should be underestimated.

Here's a challenge: Shut down the For Sale forum for a month and measure the overall traffic to the site. I expect that it would slow to a crawl.
    The classified section IS what keeps the site alive.

Most new member don’t know the main page informational site even exists and the amount of stodginess and grumpiness, condescension, one-upsmanship, and contrarianism new members (and sometimes old
    members) get is significant. The amount of knowledge here is massive but the tone and quality of communication is often terrible.

I suggest allowing each member one active classified post and allowing that member to bump it once per day. All of the member’s sale interests can be consolidated into that one post and edited as needed. That would considerably clean up the classified section that, right now, is littered with completed listings that I wouldn’t click on if I could tell they were complete before entering. It’s currently very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akoltek View Post
    Surely you must realize that your overly strict moderation is creating a community that new members aren't particularly interested in contributing to. I'm pretty sure I'm exactly the kind of demographic that a forum like this would like to encourage as membership (passionate, professional, willing to lend advice and encouragement, reasonable, good at what I do)… please reconsider your approach here... I understand what you're trying to do, and respect the importance of moderation, but this is literally crazyness that linking to another post in the classifieds is considered gaming the system.
    +1

Encouraging new practitioners is one of the main things this site should be aiming to do, and I can tell you from personal experience this site has destroyed that aspect, which is why it continues to be almost completely ignored by those my age and younger (which is already a tough sell being that forums are old-school now).

I have my own issues with the Facebook groups and the like, where the blind are leading the blind for the most part, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post

Most new member don’t know the main page informational site even exists and the amount of stodginess and grumpiness, condescension, one-upsmanship, and contrarianism new members (and sometimes old
    members) get is significant. The amount of knowledge here is massive but the tone and quality of communication is often terrible.
    Also this.

Anyway, I know it's not being re-litigated, so none of this matters unless perhaps more moderators are brought on board to lighten the load and the classifieds are viewed differently by those same mods and the owner.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post

I suggest allowing each member one active classified post and allowing that member to bump it once per day. All of the member’s sale interests can be consolidated into that one post and edited as needed. That would considerably clean up the classified section that, right now, is littered with completed listings that I wouldn’t click on if I could tell they were complete before entering. It’s currently very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well said. I completely agree. Thank you.

Fuck it. Just close down the classified. The mods would be happy to be relieved of the burden. The old timers who dislike the classifieds would be happy to be relieved of the burden.....and anybody who’s left can pig pile on every newbie who comes along and asks where to buy or sell some LF gear.

I do not understand why this forum has so much trouble with their classifieds. I visit a few other photography forums (getDPI, FredMiranda, LL) and they do not seem to have problems with their Buy/Sell forums. If they do, I have never experienced a problem in over ten years of using them. The more rules, the more need to moderate. And I agree with C. D. Keth's comment:

"... the amount of stodginess and grumpiness, condescension, one-upsmanship, and contrarianism new members (and sometimes old members) get is significant. The amount of knowledge here is massive but the tone and quality of communication is often terrible."
    This place has changed over the years in an unfriendly way.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    ...This place has changed over the years in an unfriendly way.
    Not really. Those who want this free, non-commercial service to be what they desire have always been unfriendly toward the owner and moderators who've established what they want. And there has consistently been bitching/moaning by free-riding members' about their inability to change things.

As always, I encourage those who seek a free-for-all large format classified forum to establish and maintain their own. As always, I expect crickets in response to that suggestion. And the beat goes on.