Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A question on FS rule enforcement

A question on FS rule enforcement

Why is it unacceptable to include a link in a for sale post to another for sale post within the For Sale/For Trade forum? Once a post leaves the first page, it's pretty much invisible for a month before it can be re-posted.

What's so terrible about including a link in a post that's still on the first page before it's pushed off by the professional sellers who post ads daily?

The limit of three new threads per day and the bump/update rules have prevented any one seller from "owning" the queue. Within the limits specified by the rules, you're free to decide how to group your own sales, whether into fewer threads containing more items each or more threads containing fewer items each, and how often you want to update your pricing.

But visibility at the top of the queue is necessarily a zero-sum game. We have mitigated that as best we reasonably can, but it is not possible for us to guarantee any particular amount of visibility for any particular thread. On days when FS subforum listing activity is higher, existing threads will necessarily move down the queue more quickly. Similarly, those who have fewer items to sell and so fewer listings will tend to have lower overall visibility as sellers. That cannot be avoided without a radically different structure for the FS subforum, which is not possible for us to implement with our forum software.

Finally: posts that seek to bend or game the rules in order to claim visibility at the top of the queue are unfair to members who play by the rules, and are considered a violation. At moderators' discretion such posts will be deleted, or edited solely to remove the specific content that is a violation. Repeated violations may result in loss of FS subforum privileges.

Re: A question on FS rule enforcement

Are you saying that including the sentence I also have lenses for sale here at the bottom of a for sale post, where the word here is a link to an older for sale post, is considered gaming the system?

Yes.

Surely you must realize that your overly strict moderation is creating a community that new members aren't particularly interested in contributing to. I'm pretty sure I'm exactly the kind of demographic that a forum like this would like to encourage as membership (passionate, professional, willing to lend advice and encouragement, reasonable, good at what I do)… please reconsider your approach here... I understand what you're trying to do, and respect the importance of moderation, but this is literally crazyness that linking to another post in the classifieds is considered gaming the system.

Actually, many of us think the opposite. If the rules for sales is the deciding factor for someone not to participate here in this community, then perhaps this is not the right place for them and they probably will not be missed.

Edited to add: I am all for anyone giving this place a go, though, and joining the give and take of ideas, images, and knowledge.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 15-Feb-2020 at 00:55.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Actually, many of us think the opposite. If the rules for sales is the deciding factor for someone not to participate here in this community, then perhaps this is not the right place for them and they probably will not be missed.
    Tin Can

Matt Alexander

I came here for the knowledge and passion of others, the chance to see their creativity and find different ways of doing photography. The opportunity to buy equipment comes in as a bonus, though i would still be here if the 'for sale' forum went away. The ability to sell gear is far down the list of reasons most of us are here. There are plenty of other sites to sell your stuff.
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by akoltek View Post
    Surely you must realize that your overly strict moderation is creating a community that new members aren't particularly interested in contributing to. I'm pretty sure I'm exactly the kind of demographic that a forum like this would like to encourage as membership (passionate, professional, willing to lend advice and encouragement, reasonable, good at what I do)… please reconsider your approach here... I understand what you're trying to do, and respect the importance of moderation, but this is literally crazyness that linking to another post in the classifieds is considered gaming the system.
    Post numbers six, seven and eight are well-written rebuttals to this nonsense. Perhaps you ought learn from their advice and encouragement.

Sal, give em a chance to learn! This is a good community, even with a few of us screwballs.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China