Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A question on FS rule enforcement

Re: A question on FS rule enforcement

People seem to forget (or are too new to know) that the present rules are there because with less rules the for sale part of this forum was unmanagable and causing too much work for the moderators. And they were probably getting far more complaints concerning bumping than they did from people complaining about not being able to bump!

This place continues to exist because of the moderators. We need to do whatever it takes to make that job smooth sailing...or as Sal said, start your own forum!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    People seem to forget (or are too new to know) that the present rules are there because with less rules the for sale part of this forum was unmanagable and causing too much work for the moderators. And they were probably getting far more complaints concerning bumping than they did from people complaining about not being able to bump!

This place continues to exist because of the moderators. We need to do whatever it takes to make that job smooth sailing...or as Sal said, start your own forum!

Why does the Photrio For Sale forum function so smoothly when many of the people who sell here also sell there?

Why does ours run so smoothly?

Photrio is a privately owned for-profit forum -- Sean can spend a little more money on things --

Sean (2018): "Hey, just installing a thread bump manager for the classifieds area. Ran into a snag but should have it running in the next 24hrs."
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Matt Alexander

+1
    Agreed. Without the current rules, this place would be over-run with buy / sell posts being bumped daily. If thats all you're truly interested in - ebay is just a click away...
    Even monkeys fall from trees -- Japanese proverb

Why is it the getDPI forum Buy/Sell classifies run smoothly? And selling medium format digital gear is not cheap.
    They do get fraudsters every now and then, but the community is friendly over there and protects and helps each other.
    I only use this as an example because I spend more time there than here these days.

I only recently started coming back after being away for a few years, and I do sense a change.
    Hoping for a solution as I remember this board long before they used this software.

Um, er, ah, have any of you posters who allege that our resident curmudgeons have driven new arrivals away asked the departees why they didn't stick around?

I don't recall seeing many announcements to the effect of "A curmudgeon bit me so I'm leaving."

Would it matter if anybody had? Would anybody change their behavior or attitude? I don't think so.

Dan, I've actually talked to multiple people who either don't post anymore or left after not much time.

The reasons often include the word "curmudgeon."
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have to admit, the classified section here used to be a...well, it used to be Really Bad. The incessant bumping, the petty personal cat fights that would erupt in the posts...I remember one hopeful seller who, after bumping his over priced FS item every couple of hours started including little tirades to all those who were looking and not buying, not even making offers. And another seller who posted like 3 pages worth of FS ads within a few hours and when called out on it, seemed oblivious that such behavior might not be seen in a too positive light. So, as much as I dislike the way it is now, it is better than it was.

As for the specific incident that resulted in this thread, I can see where it was a violation of the rules in a very strict interpretation of the rules and I can see how adding a link in a new FS thread could used (and therefore, eventually would be) used to game the no bumping rule BUT, I do not think that the OP was in any way gaming the system in this specific instance....but, the rules are the rules. which brings me to my next point...Oren Grad.

I appreciate Oren's moderating activities. He is very impartial and even handed...we have not always been so fortunate. He is active but not heavy handed. Again, I appreciate that too. He takes a lot of flack simply because he is (or appears to me to be) far more active than any of the other mods here. So, Thank you Oren. Keep up the good work!

Anyway, as so often happens to me, I got emotional over this incident and probably behaved poorly. I apologize to those whom I have offended.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I have to admit, the classified section here used to be a...well, it used to be Really Bad...So, as much as I dislike the way it is now, it is better than it was.
    My thinking is the other way round. Several years ago the classifieds were a little “Wild West” but there was (at least seemingly) 3x the activity. You just had to mentally filter things a bit which is a very easy task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris