Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or similar?

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Luckily with Photoshop it's basically a one-click merge and registration, so no big deal on that if you are doing it digitally.
    Oh, yes, unless I decide to invest in that enlarger, I am pretty much just hybrid.

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Going with good glass filters if there was a way to make a rotating disk with the filters mounted in them you could change to the next filter pretty quick. Oversize glass would be handy. Would take some inventive engineering to get a practical mount for that.
    Alternatively something like the cokin system that would allow the glass filters to be dropped in would be pretty fast change too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    Going with good glass filters if there was a way to make a rotating disk with the filters mounted in them you could change to the next filter pretty quick. Oversize glass would be handy. Would take some inventive engineering to get a practical mount for that.
    Alternatively something like the cokin system that would allow the glass filters to be dropped in would be pretty fast change too.
    I have the Cokin holder, but did they even make a mount that'll attach the holder to the Optar's (*googles it frantically*) 38mm filter threads?

Then why not try it first with all DIGI, but using affordable filters, some DSLR have B&W mode

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    Oh, yes, unless I decide to invest in that enlarger, I am pretty much just hybrid.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Then why not try it first with all DIGI, but using affordable filters, some DSLR have B&W mode
    For me personally, I don't own a DSLR or really any digital camera except my phone. I don't mind devoting a few B/W sheets and the chemicals to develop them, though. From everything I've seen I should be able to colorize and merge the negatives with software rather easily, assuming I expose them correctly in the first place.

In no way do I want you to stop experimenting!

It's ALL interesting

I look forward to your images

When I first joined here 9 years ago I was very shy about showing images for a long time, the experts can be daunting...

Now I post anything

almost...

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    For me personally, I don't own a DSLR or really any digital camera except my phone. I don't mind devoting a few B/W sheets and the chemicals to develop them, though. From everything I've seen I should be able to colorize and merge the negatives with software rather easily, assuming I expose them correctly in the first place.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    In no way do I want you to stop experimenting!

It's ALL interesting

I look forward to your images

When I first joined here 9 years ago I was very shy about showing images for a long time, the experts can be daunting...

Now I post anything

almost...
    Oh, I certainly wasn't drawing any inference that you were discouraging me! What you said is definitely a good idea for anyone looking to try it who has a DSLR.

Drew Wiley

Digi and film are quite different in this respect, with an appropriate film having much greater linearity. But it takes a LOT more than a few sheets of film to learn the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Digi and film are quite different in this respect, with an appropriate film having much greater linearity. But it takes a LOT more than a few sheets of film to learn the ropes.
    Maybe I got lucky, but the wine bottle and flower shot were my FIRST attempt at this process. It's really not that difficult if you already have film photography down.

Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    Another antique option I found were film holders with the color filters built in. These I found were in poor shape and I never rebuilt them to useability but thought the idea was interesting. A set of these would make the shooting much faster.
    Trouble with that would be dust, anyway. Filters in the holder project any dust from the filter sharply onto the film. You already have 6 surfaces per image (3 sheets, front and back) to try and keep dust-free. Add a filter close to each piece of film and you increase that to 12 surfaces all combining their dust onto one photo. I would not want to spot that print.

If I were doing this, I would use a cokin type holder for square filters. Filter changes are quick and easy if you have everything ready. Expose in either ascending or descending order of filter factor so you’re not juggling settings around too much. You could get your three exposures as quick as a minute or minute and a half with regular holders and even less with a grafmatic and some practice.
    -Chris