Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or similar?

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    RL, it's certainly easier to shoot these in MF. I recommend you standardize on filter order so you always know what image is what filter. I always just do R - G - B, though I considered doing it in filter factor order, from least to most.

Thanks John. I have the idea of a series of these, but like I said the conditions have to be just right and you've gotta have the filters ready when you find it...
    Yes, consistency would be a major factor... I would probably do RGB as well, as it's easy to remember. And of course, filter factor is going to be the bugbear for me. Is it more than a stop or two difference between any two of the filters?

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

I didn't find the filter factors to have that kind of disparity, but if you go for a more extreme red (29) filter you might hit a higher filter factor (recommended at 4 1/3 for standard photography, but I found the standard recommendation of 3 stops too much for an R25 filter when used for tri-color, so YMMV).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I didn't find the filter factors to have that kind of disparity, but if you go for a more extreme red (29) filter you might hit a higher filter factor (recommended at 4 1/3 for standard photography, but I found the standard recommendation of 3 stops too much for an R25 filter when used for tri-color, so YMMV).
    Alright, if I do this I'll probably go with the same filters you used then. Thanks again for the info.

If 3 stops is too much for r25, what did you use, about two and half? Two?

From my notes on the blog:

Red 25: 2.5 stops
    Green 58: 2 stops
    Blue 47: 3 stops

Seems to be what I arrived at.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wonderful. Thanks, Corran! So blue's the slowest. I wouldn't have guessed that!

Here's my try at this. The pencils and hammer were 4x5 and the bottle and flowers were 35mm. Both using the same RGB filters. Just some cheap square ebay color filters with no markings or color codes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combocrayon.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	200545

Name:	hammercolour.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	200546

Name:	trifiltercolortest.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	200547

Name:	trifiltercolortest2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	200548

Vance: very nicely done!

Perhaps grafmatics would help you get the needed exposures in somewhat shorter time with less manipulation of the camera. They even hold sheets in a multiple of three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    Perhaps grafmatics would help you get the needed exposures in somewhat shorter time with less manipulation of the camera. They even hold sheets in a multiple of three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've looked at them for the general convenience of shooting faster, and I don't think I'll go that route. First off, they're very expensive (for my budget) on the used market in good shape, and second, I think they would lead to me shooting 4x5 too quickly and not treating it like it is, a very limited resource for me.

As for this application, I don't know that it would speed up the operation that much, since the real time-consuming thing is not dealing with the film holders, but changing the filters without moving the camera. Lord knows if I were a rich man I would just have a grafmatic, a separate identical lensboard and lens already cocked and set for each of the three exposures, and real TMAX 100 to shoot in it.