Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or similar?

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Keep your eyes peeled and you may find one cheap. I have 4, one of which was free and the others I paid half the typical price seen on eBay. They are super helpful and the numbers would be especially useful for this application (plus, 6 sheets is perfect for two tri-color images).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Another antique option I found were film holders with the color filters built in. These I found were in poor shape and I never rebuilt them to useability but thought the idea was interesting. A set of these would make the shooting much faster.

Whoa that's cool, mind posting some photos? Never heard of such a thing personally.
    You could make some custom ones with gels, but any kind of defects on the gels would mess things up! Perhaps custom darkslides with gel filters attached?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    Another antique option I found were film holders with the color filters built in. These I found were in poor shape and I never rebuilt them to useability but thought the idea was interesting. A set of these would make the shooting much faster.
    Yeah, I just saw an Adapt-A-Roll 620 back on eBay where the seller through in some of those. They didn't look like they were the same size or in good shape, but it was interesting to see.

I dont have them anymore, couldnt say what happened to them, its been a while.

Funny, while looking for them I found a couple of wooden glass plate holders with film sheaths. One needs some really tiny screws to put it back together.

I would imagine if you had gelatine filters the size of the film it would just be a matter of loading the film into a holder with the gel on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
    I would imagine if you had gelatine filters the size of the film it would just be a matter of loading the film into a holder with the gel on top.
    Yes, but I would worry about scratching. I wonder how it would work in practice...

Drew Wiley

It takes quite a bit of work up front, and a lot of time making densitometer plots, to learn how to do truly balanced separation negatives. Then, unless you're just winging it for fun (which some do), you need to be able to achieve precise registration when printing. This requires greater precision in-camera than ordinary circumstances, and precise position repeatability in either a registered enlarger carrier or registered contact printing frame. There is also the scanning and post-register option. As per filters and film: for TMX100 (undoubtedly the best color separation film choice currently available), I recommend 29red, 47blue, and 61 green. 47B will likely take too long an exposure, in relation to the others to be practical. Get good quality glass filters. Gels won't hold up well, and ones big enough for sheet film are going to be very expensive, if you can even find them. Acetate and polyester "gels" are not the real deal and are optically inferior. Your camera will have to be locked down rock solid, and extreme care has to be taken that nothing shifts when changing film holders. This is a slow business during exposure. So you need to find something that doesn't move, whether a studio setup or outdoors without wind. Of course, there are all kinds of "creative" ways to bend the rules, but that's a different story. Just for kicks, find and refurbish an old Devin or Curtis Tricolor camera that takes all three shots at once. It will be a helluva lot of work to fully restore, but some people enjoy that kind of shop torture challenge.

Luckily with Photoshop it's basically a one-click merge and registration, so no big deal on that if you are doing it digitally.