Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or similar?

Drew Wiley

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Just some odd n' ends on Ebay, not the necessary filter turret itself. No sense paying for any of that. You can get something equivalent new from Edmund or rig one up yourself. But that's just if someone is serious about studio tricolor with film, in which case you'd also want to set up a copy camera with a pin-registered back etc fpor still-life work. No sense if this is just a fun wiggle the toes in the water proposition. But that's how lots of us got hooked on serious darkroom work of one type or another to begin with, so ya just never know. But today there are multiple potential paths involving strictly film & darkroom, vs all sorts of hybrid, vs all-digital, so pick your poison and have fun with it.

multiplex

Re: Has anyone here done three-color photography on B/W with a Speed Graphic or simil

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    Well, thank you for the advice. I haven't used TMX100 in 4x5" size yet. Certainly I won't try this with Shanghai 100!
    too many purists in this world
    sure try it with shanghai try it with fresh film, expired film
    nothing but fun to be had, unless you want to recreate what the
    russian photographer from 1911 did, then you will have to get panchromatic glass plates
    and a camera similar to his or you will be doomed to fail

don't forget to have fun!
    john

Quote Originally Posted by RLangham View Post
    Certainly I won't try this with Shanghai 100!
    Haha that is exactly the film I used for my 4x5 shots. It worked just fine.

Drew Wiley

Are you implying that it is just fine for Haha results? That would be logical. Sure you can do that. You can drive around with three flat tires on a car too, but it won't be very efficient. I wouldn't call that insight being a purist - just common sense. Certain panchromatic films were designed with this purpose in mind, most weren't. This is also a scenario where you want film with as much batch to batch consistency as possible, otherwise what works one time might not the next. That's not being a purist either; I learned it the hard way a long time ago.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 14-Feb-2020 at 17:28.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Are you implying that it is just fine for Haha results? That would be logical. Sure you can do that. You can drive around with three flat tires on a car too, but it won't be very efficient. I wouldn't call that insight being a purist - just common sense. Certain panchromatic films were designed with this purpose in mind, most weren't. This is also a scenario where you want film with as much batch to batch consistency as possible, otherwise what works one time might not the next. That's not being a purist either; I learned it the hard way a long time ago.
    I'm not quite sure what "Haha results" means; and I am not sure why using whatever films one has on-hand is equated with driving a car with 3 wheels flat. Is it because quality is crippled? I've never had quality-problems with a variety of films fresh or expired ( kodak, foma, forte, astia, fuji, ilford, even c41+e6 i process + use as b+w films ); but, I've never used Shanhai or Lucky, I had imagined they would be about the same as everything else. I'm not projecting with 3 magic lanterns, or pin registering on color paper, making my own kodachromes or autochromes but scanning and using photoshop and i gave up on perfection decades ago because as far as I can see there is no such thing. Maybe you make your trichromes differently, hand print them on color paper &c and or used the separation negatives for Dye Transfer prints and you need to use specialized films, I'm just doing them for personal enjoyment.
    Last edited by jnantz; 15-Feb-2020 at 06:22.

Not sure what your problem is, but it seems that you want to discourage or make this as complicated as possible. Isn't photography supposed to be fun? Anyway, I know that my tri-colors are not perfect, but I still enjoy them.

Nothin wrong with taking a photo of a color check card with each fresh batch. Certainly easy that way if you're going hybrid.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Drew Wiley

Precisely the opposite - I'm giving firm clues how to make it EASIER using correct tools. Sure you can fix a bicycle with a pipe wrench; but that's how you strip bolts too. Even PS curve correction is much more efficient if your tricolor curves are close to begin with. No, I'm not a shoot-from-the-hip type; bullets are too expensive, and so is 8x10 film. I want to know what I'm aiming at. But if some of you want to teach that sloppy is better, it's your perfect right. But I don't think you're really helping anyone doing that.

Precisely the opposite - I'm giving firm clues how to make it EASIER using correct tools. Sure you can fix a bicycle with a pipe wrench; but that's how you strip bolts too. Even PS curve correction is much more efficient if your tricolor curves are close to begin with. No, I'm not a shoot-from-the-hip type; bullets are too expensive, and so is 8x10 film. I want to know what I'm aiming at. But if some of you want to teach that sloppy is better, it's your perfect right. But I don't think you're really helping anyone doing that.
    I think Drew is right on here. Making color separation negatives IS a discipline where an ounce of technical preparation will prevent a pound of wasted film, time, chemicals, and strife later. There are too many variables to fudge your way through completely. You will just chase yourself in circles and waste 3x the film in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris

Guys, I'm sorry I started this. Obviously whether done hybrid or not, it's a difficult process to pull off that requires thoughtful preparation as well as some real time spent experimenting with exposure and development.

I'm actually not going to try messing with tricolor photography right now. It sounds like it's liable to cost too much for too little payoff.