Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elsa Dorfman: Me and My Camera

Elsa Dorfman: Me and My Camera

Working with a 200-pound, 20 x 24 Polaroid camera, one of only a few in existence, Dorfman has photographed friends, artists, and celebrities. At the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston through June 21. https://www.mfa.org/exhibition/elsa-...-and-my-camera

Re: Elsa Dorfman: Me and My Camera

Since many can't attend, there is a movie about Elsa, 2017.

The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography

Rent it almost anywhere

I am
    Tin Can

There was a camera store in LA called PanPacific, a large store, heavily into large and medium format as well as amateur equipment.
    The owners son managed to acquire one of the Polaroid 20x24 cameras and set up a studio for it in the store where it could be rented.

Unfortunately for him the son was involved in insurance fraud and an ex employee turned him in and the authorities then found fraud on school and city contracts and they locked him up and his mother had to close the store after decades of operation.

Don’t know where that camera went after that.

This guy was quite a character. He drove a Rolls Royce to the store each day and parked it in the alley between his store and the next building. On one trip out to the coast we were going to lunch, I had strict orders to not let him order the wine! As we passed the alley going to the restaurant he suddenly stopped and said “my car is gone”. Turned out to be another insurance fraud.

Bob, you have great stories! Maybe a memoir is in order.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Bob, you have great stories! Maybe a memoir is in order.
    A quick short one. At Rollei of America we had an assistant marketing manager who was very funny. When Rollei introduced the A26-C26 instamatic Camera he had the job of demoing it at the PMA show in Vegas.
    The camera advanced film the same way as a Minox by pushing it into its shell and pulling it out.
    He was well into his spiel when Sammy Davis, Jr. came to the booth and watched the demo. The guy never acknowledged Sammy, who was a Rollei collector, and continued his spiel. Sammy began to stare at the demonstrator and he finally interrupted the demo to look at Sammy and said “excuse me sir, you keep staring at me, do you know me”?

The next thing we knew Sammy was flat on his back on the carpet laughing with his hands and feet slapping the floor.
    The demonstrator just finished the demo!

That's a good one Bob

Salesmen and Saleswomen all have great stories
    Tin Can

I watched the Elsa Dorfman documentary on Netflix. I loved how unassuming she was, despite the amazing body of work she has. First photographer I have seen who wears a tabard in the darkroom!

That camera went back to Polaroid before Steve was busted, though he did steal the Fuji 1200mm lens.
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 12-Feb-2020 at 11:25.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    That camera we t back to Polaroid before Steve was busted, though he did steal the Fuji 1200mm lens.
    Among other things, he got some Rollei from us.

I saw the show today. It occupies the Ritts gallery, the room on the first floor that the MFA reserves full-time for photographs. There are 14 self- or self-with-others portraits, of which 13 are original 20x24 Polaroids and the other a same-sized inkjet copy. Various vintages are represented from early to late in her Polaroid career. Many of the pictures include balloons, reflecting her tradition of taking self-portraits on her birthday. Also shown are a handful of early 35mm B&W prints, in the glass cases. If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to see what 20x24 Polaroids look like "in the flesh".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2492m.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	200885 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2493m.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	200886