Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xtol - Distilled vs Filtered water

Re: Xtol - Distilled vs Filtered water

Yes, I do

Around here we bury all trash in old strip mines.

But a Still that fails and is scrapped is also trash, the metal recycler is too far to justify the gas

For a decade now i have brought my own bags to stores and don't bag vegetables or fruit in another bag.

I was recycling cardboard, but it is no longer wanted by China, which I can understand.

My problem is I see a second and third use for anything, so I have stuff, but not hoarding crap.

Making distilled water is just too costly right now. but I can make a stove top distiller in a jiffy

Wish I had my 60's cars, just in case, as they are easier to make into a Methane vehicle, but since I can hack any car into submission, i'll wait until SHTF. There will be plenty of cars to use...

https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011...-vehicles.html

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    All the WalMart distilled water jugs. Plastics. No one has a problem with all that plastic going into the trash?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    All the WalMart distilled water jugs. Plastics. No one has a problem with all that plastic going into the trash?
    Honestly, that was my primary reason for using filtered tap water. Here in Portland you can recycle plastic jugs, although since China no longer takes the material I have my suspicion it gets landfilled.

That said, I'm running some tests to see if there is any difference. If I decide to start using distilled in plastic I'll try hard to find ways to re-use the jugs, storage for emergency disaster water for example. I don't go through such a large volume that it would be significant but it is an important point worth considering.

I find 1 in 5 plastic bottles leak, some slow some fast.

I check each bottle's bottom with my hand as some are leaking in the store.

My grocery get their plastic bottle water in heavy cardboard, 4 to a case, so i am switching to them, easy to see if leaking and better packaged.

I never buy soda pop or other poison in plastic bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by robbiemcclaran View Post
    Honestly, that was my primary reason for using filtered tap water. Here in Portland you can recycle plastic jugs, although since China no longer takes the material I have my suspicion it gets landfilled.

That said, I'm running some tests to see if there is any difference. If I decide to start using distilled in plastic I'll try hard to find ways to re-use the jugs, storage for emergency disaster water for example. I don't go through such a large volume that it would be significant but it is an important point worth considering.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    I have been tempted to pick up one of those table top water distillers. Though I don't used distilled for mixing film processing chemistry, I use a fair bit of it during printmaking for clearing prints and washing brushes.
    The table top distillers are expensive, approximately $200, and they produce the end product slowly. I think they usually take a couple hours to produce one gallon. When you factor in the convenience and ease of buying it from the grocery store, electrical costs, cost of the unit, and typical monthly usage, I found it much, much more attractive to just buy it at Safeway. You can always find it for $1.00 a gallon. I'd like to find a source for 5 gallon containers, but haven't, so far.

I go through my friends recycling for big plastic bottles. One of my friends buys something called Arizona iced tea. The bottles are heavy, thick, 1 gallon plastic bottles. I've scored 4 so far.
    I use reverse osmosis system, works great. You can build your own from parts. Waterfiltersonline.com is where I've gotten stuff for over 10 years. Make sure not to buy the quick change type. The plastic canister type will take anyone's filters.

using distilled water. I have a water filtration system for my darkroom, but I realize it is not the same thing as distilled.

I have never noticed any ill affects form using my filtered water. So I'm wondering, is it worth the extra effort / expense to switch to distilled for mixing my Xtol?
    If you use a reverse osmosis system filter then your water will be good for sure.

What harms Xtol shelf life is iron content in the water, check that content in reports about your water supply system.

I have never noticed any ill affects form using my filtered water. So I'm wondering, is it worth the extra effort / expense to switch to distilled for mixing my Xtol?
    For peace of mind, use ditilled or reverse osmosis filtered, specially if the stock developer will be for months in the shelf.

Make a drop test to know developer strengh when fresh and over time. (let fall a drop of developer on a film end each minute lights open, then fix, then compare the "drops" to see)

https://www.waterfiltersonline.com/5...er-system.html

This is the system I have. No proprietary quick change filters. You can buy filters from anyone. We probably use on average 3-4 gallons a day. Drinking water and my darkroom. I only need to change filters every couple of years. Filter 1, is a common string filter, takes out sediment, 2 is GAC (granular activated charcoal, the charcoal from coconut shells is prefered), 3 is a carbon block, the carbon takes out the organics and reduces chlorine levels. The 4th is the actual reverse osmosis membrane, this is where you eliminate ions, calcium, iron, chloride, on and on. The 5th filter is a carbon polishing filter for taste.

Biggest issue with RO, is it uses a LOT of water to make the pure. Depends on the levels of impurities. Maybe 2 to 4 gallons used to make 1 gallon of pure. If you are operating an enormous plant to desalinate sea water, where all you do is run pumps with solar power. Then no big deal. If you have to pay for municipal water and your sewer fees are based on water use. Depends on where you are. If I lived in California or some other place that struggles with water usage I would only use purified water when required.
    I never needed any kind of purifier where I grew up. But for the last 30 years my water supplies have been loaded with minerals, even softened water here ends up with s much sodium carbonate it's not usable with developers like XTOL, tap works fine for stop and washing.

It's awesome to see your commitment to reducing waste and repurposing items! Being mindful of our environmental impact is so important. It's a bummer that making distilled water can be costly, but it's great that you have the skills to whip up a stove-top distiller when needed.
    By the way, if you're ever looking for ways to improve your water quality, you might want to check out this nanofiltration water filter, which can help you get clean and safe water.
    Last edited by Writingskin; 3-Nov-2023 at 04:08.