Thread: Adox CHS100II Yay or Nay?

Adox CHS100II Yay or Nay?

I could buy a box of 25 sheets of 5x7 CHS100II for about $99.95 from Freestyle Or I could get a box of same quantity FP4+ for $69.95.

Any reason to pick Adox? An orthopanchromatic stock interests me, but I have concerns about the PET base and curling, and the data sheet oddly advises against Pyro developers.

If you've used CHS100II I'd love to hear your experiences.

Re: Adox CHS100II Yay or Nay?

I use both from time to time depending on subject matter, light, and desired tonal scale. Choice is all a matter of desired outcome.

I started using it some years back largely because it was a lot cheaper than FP4 - which I was using because PAN-F became unavailable. In the UK it's now at price parity with FP4, so perhaps it's time I got another box or two of that, but it's an ortho film which I like, while FP4 is pan.

So that's going to treat the colours a bit differently; whether you like it or not is always going to be a matter of preference.

For general messing around though I tend to use Fomapan 100 - it's half the price.

I never make claim to any great artistry, so I'll rarely think, hmm, I'm going to photograph xxx, I'd better have film yyy loaded. More likely I'll look at the subject and try and guess how it will come out...

Neil

Sheets are fine with Pyro, but not roll film. I’ve heard of people using it with PMK and Pyrocat, but never read a consensus re results or recommended times etc. it’s an attractive film to me but I’ve never tried because I’ve settled on good systems with alternatives that have lots of user data etc widely shared. Still, I might buy a box to test if people share their findings here to use as a good starting point.

I really like its classic characteristics. Doesn't curl at all in 8x10" but I don't use pyro - if that makes a difference.

But Adox shouldn't be more expensive than Ilford IMHO, in Europe it's actually a lot cheaper. If it weren't I'd probably buy FP4+.

AG Photographic in the UK has Adox CHS II 4x5 at £38 for 25 sheets; 5x7 at £63 for 25 sheets. They have FP4+ at £40 and £70 for the same sizes and quantities. But Fomapan 4x5 is £33 for fifty sheets...

Another place I use when I'm in Berlin is Fotoimpex; their prices are E39 and E69 for 4x5 and 5x7 in 25 sheets, so about the 10% cheaper. They stock FP4+ at E51.

Neil
    Last edited by barnacle; 29-Feb-2020 at 10:07. Reason: Added Fotoimpex FP4+ price

So you can use this film with pyro on sheets??

to quote (once again) the late Fred Picker; "TRY IT". Not too hard or too expensive, and then you'll know.
    Other people's anecdotal experience won't do much to answer your question... and for sure, your pictures will tell you.

Yes, because it lacks the extra anti-halation layer that the roll film has and that causes the problems.

Find myself in the same boat. I think I'd also like to try the ADOX 20, but that's even more expensive. And then I have to wonder: What's it really going to do that I'm not already able to get with FP4? For cheapsters, I've been shooting Foma as well - though so far I'm shooting the Foma 200 downrated to 125. Jury's still out on whether I like it. I'm developing in Caffenol and coming to find it an excellent developer using CH(rs).