Thread: Polaroid Instant - Retain B&W (Prevent Sepia)

Polaroid Instant - Retain B&W (Prevent Sepia)

Hi there,

Having just started my journey into Instant 8x10, I learned that B&W Instant film (notably PX Film from Polaroid Originals) will turn Sepia after some time. The clip below (1:45) notes that this can be prevented by peeling the positive away from the negative after development.

https://youtu.be/zgv7VwkeluA

Can anyone provide further information on this process? Books? Links? Videos?

I have a personal project in mind, and would like to ensure images do not turn sepia over time.

Thanks in advance!
    André

Re: Polaroid Instant - Retain B&W (Prevent Sepia)

Andre

Impossible used to have that technique documented and a video on their site. I don't know it that has disappeared with becoming Polaroid Originals. I might have link somewhere or a copy of the webpage. I have used that technique with SX70 film. I must say that the latest incarnation of the B&W film is much better and photos I have taken over the last year or two seem to keep their tone. They also recommend storing a developed print in a sealed bag with silica gel to fully dry out the white paste.

This is the 21st century. Any image that one wishes to preserve should be scanned for a back-up, and that back-up file preserved with evolving technology.

Quote Originally Posted by richydicky View Post
    Andre

Impossible used to have that technique documented and a video on their site. I don't know it that has disappeared with becoming Polaroid Originals. I might have link somewhere or a copy of the webpage. I have used that technique with SX70 film. I must say that the latest incarnation of the B&W film is much better and photos I have taken over the last year or two seem to keep their tone. They also recommend storing a developed print in a sealed bag with silica gel to fully dry out the white paste.
    ____

Thank you. I wrote to PO, and they mentioned the Silica Gel gel too.

https://support.polaroidoriginals.co...haracteristic-

Thank you again!
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    This is the 21st century. Any image that one wishes to preserve should be scanned for a back-up, and that back-up file preserved with evolving technology.
    —-

I want to frame and hang the original print, so I don’t want to have to resort to making a duplicate. What I’ve always loved about instant film over digital is that the print in your hand is the only one of its kind in the world.
    You’re right - it’s the 21st century, but for me that means it shouldn’t be too much to expect a product to remain as is without major discolouration and having to reprint onto another medium.

Thanks!
    André