Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marble caverns

Re: Marble caverns

Thank to all for the opinions and proposals. But there are some things to have in mind. Argentina is not USA, there is no B&H, Sammys , Glazzer or Otto Nemenz no rental for photography gear . here is impossible to buy 8x10 film ( I have to wait to fly to the US or wait until a friend fly to Argentina) Same with the selections of boats catarafft , here we have just a few. So we really have to come very creative to do things haha.
    This part of the world is true is very windy , but always there is a window ( that how mountaineers called in Argentina) that means there are 1 or 2 days that the lake is like a mirror the secret is to be there at the right moment . The good thing is that we can anticipate that with the weather and wind channels.
    Answering other questions , there is a rock to land and put the camera but only to photograph the formation wide angle view . then the details have to be photographed closer inside the caverns.
    Talking about " I'm afraid it will become another photographic cliche just like Antelope Canyon" , well I describe argentinas problems to get 8x10 film, but the good part is that just few people works with LF in Patagonia and there are hundred of great locations to shoot that basically are virgin in LF. And also because , transportation , lodging and other services are so bad you really have to be very entusiastic to do the duty .
    So thanks again for the ideas.

Good luck, we await your images!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Enjoy your trip. It sounds like a wonderful destination. It's been nearly 30 now since I equipped a family member with camera gear for his first direct ascent of the face of Cerro Escudo in Paine - the most difficult big wall climb ever done in South America, if one can imagine something twice as high as El Capitan in Yosemite but actually overhanging and bitter cold the whole time. I've always dreamed of visiting down there too, and in my imagination would carry both a basic view camera like I often do in the mountains here, as well as a backup P67 system for sake of inevitable windy conditions.

The wind was just starting to pick up -- early morning, the first tourist vans had driven up the road -- dust can be seen on the far right...kinda nice effect. The lake was not a perfect mirror and that was fine with me. As I set up the camera (a short hike up this knoll from the campground), the far lake surface was just starting to get hit by the wind. Two 5x7 negatives, platinum/palladium print -- one can see the individual waves on the lake surface. My two boys were taking a slightly longer hike to a hilltop just off to the right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChileMtsDouble.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Enjoy your trip. It sounds like a wonderful destination. It's been nearly 30 now since I equipped a family member with camera gear for his first direct ascent of the face of Cerro Escudo in Paine - the most difficult big wall climb ever done in South America, if one can imagine something twice as high as El Capitan in Yosemite but actually overhanging and bitter cold the whole time. I've always dreamed of visiting down there too, and in my imagination would carry both a basic view camera like I often do in the mountains here, as well as a backup P67 system for sake of inevitable windy conditions.
    Thanks Drew , if you or any other member of LFP forum ever comes to Argentina , and need advices I will be glad to help . If you like mountain stories there is a beautiful movie (from director Wegner Herzog) about ascension of Cerro Torre (another well known difficult mountain in Patagonia) call "Scream of stone". Regards