Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marble caverns

Marble caverns

I am planing a photo journey to the marble caverns in south Chilean Patagonia. I been this summer scouting the place and find that the only way to photograph the caverns is mounting the camera in a kayak or a boat ,that's the only way to enter to the caverns that are located in small islands in the Carreras Lake and there is not place to land . I now that this project its a little bit crazy because setting a Deardorff V8 its normally challenging do it in a boat can be crazy, but the place is so incredible that I want to take the challenge. The question is : Does any body have experience doing a photoshoot with an 8x10 from a boat? any recommendations?
    Sorry for my English. I live in Buenos Aires , Argentina.
    This is how the caverns look like (iPhone pictures)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	200458Click image for larger version. 

ID:	200458

Re: Marble caverns

4x5" or 5x7" fixed camera. 3D-printed Willtravel with 65 or 58mm. Cambo or Plaubel. Whatever fit your wallet. If you still will use 8x10", put the back on a rigid body, and use a an angled viewfinder. Make sure the setup can be rehearsed.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

I think 4X5 is far better, with short lens, fast film, you will want a large DOF, no movements, no time, mark distances on the camera bed so you can shoot without focus

Practice at night on land before going

Don't rock the boat, but other boats may be a rockin, making yours rock...

Use open wood boat, not a kayak

Is flash allowed? High power flashlights?

I know they want no debris left behind, including camera parts...

Sound delightful!
    Tin Can

thanks for the advices!!! Yes I also will take a 4x5 . I have 2 options a Wista with a 90mm. but f8 or a polaroid A110modified with a 127mm F4,7 with is the easiest one for quick framing and focus. I certainly have to wait for a calm day and normally the tourist boats arrive after 9am so I will have to be on the water at 7 to avoid water rocking. But still the real challenge will be framing . The idea to mark the distances in the bed is great to avoid the focusing process is great thanks.

How deep is the water? If you can stay calm, it may be possible to simply sink the tripod legs to the solid bottom of the lake...with the camera (and focus screen or viewfinder) set at a convenient eye-level from your position in the kayak. This is something that you may want to practice a bit before you travel!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    How deep is the water? If you can stay calm, it may be possible to simply sink the tripod legs to the solid bottom of the lake...with the camera (and focus screen or viewfinder) set at a convenient eye-level from your position in the kayak. This is something that you may want to practice a bit before you travel!
    No, the Lake in the area is very deep. I will have to work just floating

Big Negs Rock!

Having shot quite a bit on the water with motion picture cameras, a pontoon boat is much more stable than a single keel boat. It's probably not practical for you, but it's much more stable. Also, the larger the pontoons the more stable the platform. Good luck!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vo-modular-6-pontoon-boat-2.gif.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	200462
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Having shot quite a bit on the water with motion picture cameras, a pontoon boat is much more stable than a single keel boat. It's probably not practical for you, but it's much more stable. Also, the larger the pontoons the more stable the platform. Good luck!

Yes something like this could be wonderful but I don't think I will be able to transported. I have to deal with what I find at the location and try to do the rig.

Thanks

Drew Wiley

The boat will no doubt be bobbing up and down somewhat. My brother successfully did difficult 4x5 handheld shots in bouncy environments using a Super Technika technical camera equipped with a Gyro stabilizer. Since gyros are quite expensive, he rented one as needed. An 8x10 Deardorff sounds dicey. You'd need a short focal length lens with quite a bit of depth of field plus a sportfinder like on a Graflex, etc, and the bellows prefocused at a set distance, which you could double check with a laser distance meter. An calibrated optical rangefinder like on a Technika or similar technical camera would be preferable. Without tripod use, all those distance variations in the same shot are going to be quite a challenge. I'd strongly agree that certain kinds of 4x5 systems are far more realistic, or a MF panoramic camera designed for handheld use. I think the logistical problems involved are going to defeat the size advantage of the larger 8x10 format because you won't be able to stop the lens down enough for suitable depth of field due to the long exposures involved. I've done numerous sea cave shots as well as looked at numerous pictures of the location you have in mind. 8x10 would be tricky.

Hola, los cazadores de los patos en los EEUU usan muchas veces un pequeño bote, se llama un "John boat." Con un fondo plano, es muy estable. Por favor, no kayak! Ni un canoa! Pero con un poco de gracia y suerte!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."