Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Re: Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Here's my set-up for lugging the 8x10 around:

Its a Lowepro AW Super Trekker - the largest one they made at the time I bought it. On the top shelf (closest to you) are 760 and 610mm apo nikkors in domke wraps. Next to it is a sekonic spot meter in the black case and (not visible) a focusing loupe, grey card, and Schneider UV glass filter. In the middle area from the top left is a 480mm apo ronar in domke wrap, Cokin Z-Pro filter holder in black case and a pouch containing cleaning materials (blower, wipes, brushes, etc). Directly under is a large Harrison dark cloth (I noticed some in holes appearing in the tapered part of the bellows so started packing the large Harrison instead of the BTZS cloth so that I can completely cover the bellows and film holder when exposing a sheet). Under the dark cloth is a Toyo 810MII. The top section contains cable release and stuff like that. The black bag protruding at the top is a padded 8x10 film holder case. I will hold up to 5 film holders and slips into the outside pocket at the rear of the pack as shown. The tripod (not shown) slides into one of the pockets on either side or in a drop out holster at the center of the pack. If needed you can fit one more lens into the pack as one lens will fold-up with the camera. It's quite hefty when you get it on your back, of course, but you can do short hikes without too much problem. For longer urban excursions I wheel it around on a folding 2-wheeler cart with telescoping handles. When not out photographing I keep everything in their dedicated hard storage cases but Monday and Tuesday were ideal for working with long lenses as the humidity was in the 20's and the wind calm so I kept everything packed and ready to go. Today its a different story - picture perfect weather but the RH climbed back into the usual 50's.

Thomas
    I’d love to see how you store the holders... appreciate it! Sorry for the requests!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The black case in the photo is an "MC Photo" case that I bought online some years back. It will hold as many as 5 film holders but I rarely carry more than 3 with me at any time. It slips into the backpack's laptop compartment. When not out in the field I store all the 8x10 holders (10) in a Chinese or Hong Kong made film holder satchel that I bought online some years back. It has individual compartments for each holder and is made with a high quality rip stop nylon fabric with handles and a shoulder strap with backpack like buckles and Velcro to keep the top lightproof. He made a 5 and 10 holder version for 8x10 and 5x7. Recently I ran across a batch of new Fidelity Elite 5x7 holders and increased my inventory from 4 - which came with the 5x7 back - to 10. I found him again online but he was only selling the 5 holder version which I bought and keep the other 5 holders in an F64 5x7 film holder which, like the MC case, bring with me in the field. If you look online you can probably find both cases new.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Then the AW 650 will work. The dimensions for the MII are: Folded Dimensions 14.5" x 15" x 6.2".

Thomas
    The 650 is the one I use, will hold almost anything (including a p2 8x10)

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post
    The 650 is the one I use, will hold almost anything (including a p2 8x10)
    Reviving this thread:
    Does anyone know which pack would be similar in dimensions to the AW 650?
    The AW 650 is 14 x 8.5 x 19.6 - just perfect for what I need, but I can't find anything currently on the market with those dimensions. Mostly, they're too narrow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Reviving this thread:
    Does anyone know which pack would be similar in dimensions to the AW 650?
    The AW 650 is 14 x 8.5 x 19.6 - just perfect for what I need, but I can't find anything currently on the market with those dimensions. Mostly, they're too narrow.

Thanks
    I think the Mindshift First Light 40L would come close.

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I think the Mindshift First Light 40L would come close.

It's pretty close. Thanks