Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Anyone here using a pelican case for air travel / general use? Curious about the experience. I’d like to be able to convert the case into a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Pelican 1600 with 8x10 Chamonix "kit".
    Holders in padded cases carried above the camera.
    Other items removed to simplify the image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pelican1600.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That’s awesome! I have to look up the dimensions of the chamonix vs my ebony. The ebony is a little wide with the knobs at 13.25 inches.

I have one of the early LowePro Trekker AW backpacks (late 1980s-Early 1990s) that can hold my Kodak 2D with a lens mounted and two film holders. All the other stuff gets packed in around the camera. Carries OK on my back, but its an early design and current ones are more ergonomic. Not sure I'd ship it as checked luggage, but it has gone into the overhead bin.

I'll bet there is a newer one out there that will work. I am spoiled by living in a large city (Houston) where one can go into a store and handle bags and backpacks from several makers in person.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Pelican have this new TrekPak divider option which allows for great customization and thinner dividers but is heavier than the other options. Looks and works great. I’m using it for my dive camera equipment (no LF!)

If you really want to go that way, get a backpack with an external frame (Fjällräven Fire Brigade Frame, Tatonka Lastenkraxe, Kelty). With an internal frame pack the S-shaped back will flatten when you strap a Pelicase to it, and even the best pack will loose all comfort and become a real burden to carry - I tried and failed

But even with an external frame pack + Peli, you'll easily add 15-20 LBS to your load. Unless you're name is Arnie S., why make yourself suffer? I have a Lowe Pro for my Sinar 8x10, it's quite comfy at 35 LBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    If you really want to go that way, get a backpack with an external frame (Fjällräven Fire Brigade Frame, Tatonka Lastenkraxe, Kelty). With an internal frame pack the S-shaped back will flatten when you strap a Pelicase to it, and even the best pack will loose all comfort and become a real burden to carry - I tried and failed

But even with an external frame pack + Peli, you'll easily add 15-20 LBS to your load. Unless you're name is Arnie S., why make yourself suffer? I have a Lowe Pro for my Sinar 8x10, it's quite comfy at 35 LBS.
    I suppose the intention behind it is that I’m never hiking with my stuff, as much as I think I will. More that I’d like to park, walk a 1/2 mile at most, and be able to have all my stuff in one bag.

Every backpack I have does a decent job with the camera and lens but then holders make me feel uncomfortable with any pressure against them or the dark slides with leaks etc. Then I have to hold them in a separate bag and I’m just not into having multiple bags.

I have 4 negative holders in a second small backpack that I carry on my belly. Safer for the holders, and much better weight distribution, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have 2 1600 cases, one for my whole plate and the other for my 8x10. Secure them to my generic frame with 3 or 4 heavy duty rubber bungee cords. Tripod I carry and use as a walking stick when needed. First time you slip and fall walking up a 4th class trail, you will forget the extra weight of the Pelican case over a much lighter loosely padded fabric "Photo" backpack.

Check out these two options for convwerting your Pelican case to backpack.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...a8&action=view

This one may only work on a 1510.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...ab&action=view

RThis one may be adaptable to a larger Pelican case'

My assessment is that neither one is for genuine hiking around. I would look at these conversions for getting around an airport while pulling other luggage, or going from the car to a scenic overlook where little wheels won't work.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!