Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Re: Pelican Case - 8x10, Users Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Pelican 1600 with 8x10 Chamonix "kit".
    Holders in padded cases carried above the camera.
    Other items removed to simplify the image
    This looks EXACTLY like mine but with a Kodak Master View.

But you don't see my gigantic biceps and triceps. I pick this up like it was a Luis Vuitton over my shoulder.
    --

I quit 8x10 years ago but still have the big, bright yellow Pelican 1600 flight case around here somewhere (probably downstairs in the room of requirement). The Pelican 1600 has room for the (tachihara 8x10) camera and one or two lenses mounted on Sinar sized boards. I primarily used this case for air travel. The big yellow Pelican protected the camera and lens in checked baggage, film and holders went with me in one of my carry-on bags. It is a beast to lug around...I do not think it would be to pleasant to "hike" with. I remember it being a pain to lug from the car to the airport terminal. For hiking, I'd suggest a LowePro PhotoTrekker (?).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9419C298-9100-43CC-B025-A143170163F1.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	200540
    Last edited by BradS; 12-Feb-2020 at 13:54.

The Pelican case itself is pretty heavy, not sure if you want that on your back with filmholders and the camera in it.

I use a Pelican case for my SV810 for flying, with the camera inside an f64 backpack, then the backpack inside the Pelican case. There's one layer of foam on the bottom and in the lid. Keeps it very snug, and no issues so far. There's no room for the film holders in there (they're packed in a suitcase). You only need one lens. When shooting, I take the backpack out of the Pelican case, carry the film holders in a messenger shoulder bag, and carry the tripod by hand. No problem at all to walk around with and even hike a mile or so.

Here's mine - i think the model is a 1620 (Definitely 16xx series).

It's got a Deardorff 8x10. 2 lenses on plates (300mm + 150mm) and a few small accessories. I use it in the car mostly (and not that much). It's a bit heavy to carry long distances, a cart would work fine though. It protects everything really well of course. When i've used it out shooting i can also stand on the case to get a little extra height when needed which is an advantage i suppose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	200538

Quote Originally Posted by James Morris View Post
    The Pelican case itself is pretty heavy, not sure if you want that on your back with filmholders and the camera in it.

I use a Pelican case for my SV810 for flying, with the camera inside an f64 backpack, then the backpack inside the Pelican case. There's one layer of foam on the bottom and in the lid. Keeps it very snug, and no issues so far. There's no room for the film holders in there (they're packed in a suitcase). You only need one lens. When shooting, I take the backpack out of the Pelican case, carry the film holders in a messenger shoulder bag, and carry the tripod by hand. No problem at all to walk around with and even hike a mile or so.
    I definitely am considering the 1615 Air... I honestly don’t hike. Often times I try and prepare a backpack like I’m heading into the wilderness and end up walking less than a mile from my car. I have a few backpacks that hold a camera and lenses but the holders are the biggest issue for me.

I have a Mindshift 40L and old ass Lowepro. Both are ok but not what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here's my set-up for lugging the 8x10 around:

Its a Lowepro AW Super Trekker - the largest one they made at the time I bought it. On the top shelf (closest to you) are 760 and 610mm apo nikkors in domke wraps. Next to it is a sekonic spot meter in the black case and (not visible) a focusing loupe, grey card, and Schneider UV glass filter. In the middle area from the top left is a 480mm apo ronar in domke wrap, Cokin Z-Pro filter holder in black case and a pouch containing cleaning materials (blower, wipes, brushes, etc). Directly under is a large Harrison dark cloth (I noticed some in holes appearing in the tapered part of the bellows so started packing the large Harrison instead of the BTZS cloth so that I can completely cover the bellows and film holder when exposing a sheet). Under the dark cloth is a Toyo 810MII. The top section contains cable release and stuff like that. The black bag protruding at the top is a padded 8x10 film holder case. I will hold up to 5 film holders and slips into the outside pocket at the rear of the pack as shown. The tripod (not shown) slides into one of the pockets on either side or in a drop out holster at the center of the pack. If needed you can fit one more lens into the pack as one lens will fold-up with the camera. It's quite hefty when you get it on your back, of course, but you can do short hikes without too much problem. For longer urban excursions I wheel it around on a folding 2-wheeler cart with telescoping handles. When not out photographing I keep everything in their dedicated hard storage cases but Monday and Tuesday were ideal for working with long lenses as the humidity was in the 20's and the wind calm so I kept everything packed and ready to go. Today its a different story - picture perfect weather but the RH climbed back into the usual 50's.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Here's my set-up for lugging the 8x10 around:

Its a Lowepro AW Super Trekker - the largest one they made at the time I bought it. On the top shelf (closest to you) are 760 and 610mm apo nikkors in domke wraps. Next to it is a sekonic spot meter in the black case and (not visible) a focusing loupe, grey card, and Schneider UV glass filter. In the middle area from the top left is a 480mm apo ronar in domke wrap, Cokin Z-Pro filter holder in black case and a pouch containing cleaning materials (blower, wipes, brushes, etc). Directly under is a large Harrison dark cloth (I noticed some in holes appearing in the tapered part of the bellows so started packing the large Harrison instead of the BTZS cloth so that I can completely cover the bellows and film holder when exposing a sheet). Under the dark cloth is a Toyo 810MII. The top section contains cable release and stuff like that. The black bag protruding at the top is a padded 8x10 film holder case. I will hold up to 5 film holders and slips into the outside pocket at the rear of the pack as shown. The tripod (not shown) slides into one of the pockets on either side or in a drop out holster at the center of the pack. If needed you can fit one more lens into the pack as one lens will fold-up with the camera. It's quite hefty when you get it on your back, of course, but you can do short hikes without too much problem. For longer urban excursions I wheel it around on a folding 2-wheeler cart with telescoping handles. When not out photographing I keep everything in their dedicated hard storage cases but Monday and Tuesday were ideal for working with long lenses as the humidity was in the 20's and the wind calm so I kept everything packed and ready to go. Today its a different story - picture perfect weather but the RH climbed back into the usual 50's.

Thomas
    I wonder if yours is similar to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Trekker-C...1547486&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I wonder if yours is similar to this...

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Trekker-C...1547486&sr=8-1
    Yeah - it's just a newer version. On the version I have there are slots on the outside of the side zip pockets where you can insert tripod legs and secure it with the compression straps. I prefer to carry the tripod on a side instead of in the center of the pack. The interior, exterior and weight are the same. When I was in the market I made sure that the interior dimensions were a sufficient fit for the MII. As you can see the camera fits in without forcing a fit and there remains plenty of room for the other gear.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Yeah - it's just a newer version. On the version I have there are slots on the outside of the side zip pockets where you can insert tripod legs and secure it with the compression straps. I prefer to carry the tripod on a side instead of in the center of the pack. The interior, exterior and weight are the same. When I was in the market I made sure that the interior dimensions were a sufficient fit for the MII. As you can see the camera fits in without forcing a fit and there remains plenty of room for the other gear.

Thomas
    My Ebony SV810 has proven a difficult camera to fit into bags... at 13.5 roughly wide it makes a tight squeeze in many options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then the AW 650 will work. The dimensions for the MII are: Folded Dimensions 14.5" x 15" x 6.2".

Thomas