Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using VC Filters in Super Chromega E Dichroic II

Using VC Filters in Super Chromega E Dichroic II

Is it possible to insert VC filters, such as the Ilford Multigrade filters, into the 5x7 Super Chromega E Dichroic II head ? In know it is possible to dial-in similar VC values via the dichroic filters, but just for ease and consistency with past practice on other enlargers would like the ability to use existing Ilford Multi-grade filters.

Thanks for any insights and guidance.

Re: Using VC Filters in Super Chromega E Dichroic II

You can add the Ilford below-the-lens filter holder if you really want to use separate filters. I don't think there's any provision for inserting filters on the Chromega E.

IM-HO, you should just use the dichroic head to dial in the values. I find I can get the full range of contrast from my Chromega head with the exception of the very highest contrast setting. I can get a bit more contrast when needed with a #47 Wratten blue filter mounted below the lens. I don't know if the Ilford #5 filter would do any better than the 170M setting on the head.

The advantage of the dichroic head is that you have a continuous contrast scale available and there is no degradation from filters above or below the lens.

FWIW, I have the Chromega E head mounted on a Beseler 45M frame. I change settings often during printing when I'm split printing; solid and no hassle.

Best,

Doremus

If you have a chance to check the Chromega E before purchase, you can look to see if it has the same provisions for gelatin filters as the Chromega D. Below is a clip from the Chromega D manual:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.32.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	200402

Drew Wiley

Why ???? With a functional colorhead you've already got something way better and more convenient for VC printing than supplementary sheet filters. It won't take long to re-learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Why ???? With a functional colorhead you've already got something way better and more convenient for VC printing than supplementary sheet filters. It won't take long to re-learn.
    Appreciate the feedback and insights. I fully understand that the dichroic head can create the VC filters by itself. Just a bit of "going with what I know" as well as "more than one way to skin a cat" at work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you have a chance to check the Chromega E before purchase, you can look to see if it has the same provisions for gelatin filters as the Chromega D. Below is a clip from the Chromega D manual:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.32.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	200402
    By gum, I just checked my Chromega heads and, sure enough, there's enough room under the mixing boxes on both the Chromega D and the Chromega E for one to slide a filter in.

That said, you have to remove the front plate on the head and sliding the filters in seems like it might involve a bit of sliding them over a scratchy surface, i.e., there's a possible risk of scratching up the filters and it's a bit fiddly.

If one had special masks or whatever "special effects filters" Omega is referring to, then this is the place for them. Still, I'd use the dial-in filtration for VC as it seems much easier.

FWIW, the Chromega D filter "slot" (really just a small space under the mixing box) is 5x5 inches. The Chromega E "slot" is approx. 5x8 inches.

Best,

Doremus

I'd put the filters in cardboard frames, less fiddly that way.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I'm in the "just use the dichroic head" camp. I often use two or three grades in a single print. I have the settings for all the grades from 0 to 4-1/2 printed out (in a large font) on a sheet of paper on the wall behind the enlarger, in 1/4 grade steps (I interpolated the given half-grade settings). You can really see a 1/4 grade difference and it can be what makes a print really sing, getting it just right where you want it.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    I'm in the "just use the dichroic head" camp. I often use two or three grades in a single print. I have the settings for all the grades from 0 to 4-1/2 printed out (in a large font) on a sheet of paper on the wall behind the enlarger, in 1/4 grade steps (I interpolated the given half-grade settings). You can really see a 1/4 grade difference and it can be what makes a print really sing, getting it just right where you want it.

I really appreciate all the insight, and am coming around to using the dichroic head. Hearing the real world experience of others has been truly helpful. Much appreciated.

loujon

I agree 100% with all those in the "use the dichroic head" camp. As Joe pointed out, having the small steps of contrast really allows you to fine tune the contrast in ones print when needed and it's sooooo much nicer dialing in contrast versus fussy contrast filters either above or below the lens.

BTW I think the heat of the 250w halogen lamp would melt the regular contrast filter. I know the dichroic filters are usually made to stand the temps of the lamps they are put in front of. I'm not sure the contrast filters that go in filter holders and then placed in the light path but not in front of the light source so something to consider