Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 5x7 deluxe monorail bellows and lens question

Re: Toyo 5x7 deluxe monorail bellows and lens question

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Ilford offers that size as part of its annual special-order program for less-common sheet film sizes. Orders are taken in the spring and delivered in early fall.
    I looked on the Ilford website but can't see anything about this program, could you provide a link to it, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Ilford offers that size as part of its annual special-order program for less-common sheet film sizes. Orders are taken in the spring and delivered in early fall.
    After a bit of searching I found the page for this

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/ulf

Thabks for letting me know about it!

My replacement bellows arrived from Custom Bellows today, what amazing craftsmanship! As I posted earlier I have put a 360mm lens on to its lensboard, and I've cut some 5x7 film and loaded a film holder so I'm good to go! Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4531adj.jpg  

BH Photo Video in New York often has Ilford 5x7 BW film in stock. That's been the most reliable on-demand supplier that I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauie View Post
    My replacement bellows arrived from Custom Bellows today, what amazing craftsmanship! As I posted earlier I have put a 360mm lens on to its lensboard, and I've cut some 5x7 film and loaded a film holder so I'm good to go! Thanks to everyone for your help.
    Great to see you have the camera up and running. Might not hurt to invest in a few 5x7 holders, it would save having to cut film down.

Roger

Shot a test today, it has a light leak. I noticed that the bellows plate does not sit perfectly snugly against the rear standard so took the sliding clamp apart and bent the spring a bit, reassembled it, it seems better but still not 100%. Looking at this neg, I'm wondering if the leak is to do with the film holder not seating properly? I ran a strong light around where the bellows meets the rear standard with the film holder removed and could not see any hint of a leak. I did not fully remove the darkslide, just enough to clear the film area. Any hints from LF old heads would be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first57.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	202120
    Last edited by Bauie; 31-Mar-2020 at 06:58.

Aspiring LF photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Bauie View Post
    ...I did not fully remove the darkslide, just enough to clear the film area. Any hints from LF old heads would be appreciated.

Name:	first57.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	202120
    Here is a poll on Large Format Photography Forum about whether people take the slide all the way out. A couple of respoonses mention the possibility of a light leak if the slide is left partially in. In any case, the overwhelming majority remove it. Note that you should reverse the slide anyway as a reminder that sheet has been exposed.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p/t-74781.html

After some detective work, I discovered the cause of my light leak. The film holder can be inserted in the back either way, I didn't think it mattered but upon closer inspection, one side, the side I inserted it into, has the notch shown in the photo and light was entering there. Tonight I did another test shot and I used the other side so that the side with the notch was at the bottom of the film holder, no light leaks! Anyone know what that notch is for?

Name:	57back.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	202160

Quote Originally Posted by tdicorcia View Post
    Here is a poll on Large Format Photography Forum about whether people take the slide all the way out. A couple of respoonses mention the possibility of a light leak if the slide is left partially in. In any case, the overwhelming majority remove it. Note that you should reverse the slide anyway as a reminder that sheet has been exposed.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...p/t-74781.html
    I put a little adhesive dot on the side I have exposed. I've had too many negs ruined by light leaks caused by removing the dark slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Great to see you have the camera up and running. Might not hurt to invest in a few 5x7 holders, it would save having to cut film down.

Roger
    I'd love to buy some 5 x 7 holders but every time I see "5x7" holders advertised on eBay they are actually 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 holders which are the ones I already have. Any tips as to where I could buy actual 5 x 7 holders would be appreciated.