Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toyo 5x7 deluxe monorail bellows and lens question

Re: Toyo 5x7 deluxe monorail bellows and lens question

Quote Originally Posted by Bauie View Post
    The pics were in response to Bernice who asked for pictures of the camera.
    Here are pics of the bellows frames.
    Attachment 200361Attachment 200360
    As long as they aren’t bent they should be fine.

And normal for most formats is the film diagonal, 5X7 generally use 210mm, read this http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/tech/bellows.php

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    I like to be able to focus a normal lens at 1:1. In reality the vast majority of what I do would be fine with maybe 160% of the bellows for a normal lens at infinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tin Can

They look OK, long as they are not bent too bad (these appear good), have or make a new bellows for the camera.

Clean up, lube and check out the camera mechanicals for proper operation. Check-verify the proper ground glass position if a fresnel lens has been applied to the rear of this view camera.

As for bellows length, the rail of this camera might not be extendable beyond what is on the camera now. If this is correct, make a bellows slightly longer than the max end to end position of the camera standards while allowing for max rise-fall, swing-tilt of BOTH front & rear camera standards. The trade off is minimum distance between camera standards which will fix the shortest focal length lens possible on this camera without using a bag bellows.

Bernice

The pics were in response to Bernice who asked for pictures of the camera.
    Here are pics of the bellows frames.
    Attachment 200361Attachment 200360

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    They look OK, long as they are not bent too bad (these appear good), have or make a new bellows for the camera.

Clean up, lube and check out the camera mechanicals for proper operation. Check-verify the proper ground glass position if a fresnel lens has been applied to the rear of this view camera.

As for bellows length, the rail of this camera might not be extendable beyond what is on the camera now. If this is correct, make a bellows slightly longer than the max end to end position of the camera standards while allowing for max rise-fall, swing-tilt of BOTH front & rear camera standards. The trade off is minimum distance between camera standards which will fix the shortest focal length lens possible on this camera without using a bag bellows.

Bernice
    Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Yes the bellows frames look to be in perfect condition. I am going to engage custom bellows company to build the bellows.

This is such a nice forum, it doesn't seem to have the huge egos that so many photo forums have, thanks again for all of your replies.

I've managed to fit a Rodenstock APO 360mm lens onto the lens board so I'm all good in the lens department. This may be a silly question but the film holders that came with it are 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 Lisco holders, just want to check that they will take 5x7 Ilford film?

Between here and there

The 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 film holders are for a different film format, but their outer dimension is the same as a 5x7" holder. You will have to get some 5x7" holders (or cut film to 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 size). The 5x7", 13x18 cm, 12,5x16 cm and the 6 1/2 x 4 3/4" film holders share the same outer dimension, but one has to fit the right size film to each one of them ...

Sellers sometimes get the sizes mixed up (been on the receiving end, getting oddball stuff), so it pays to check any photos thoroughly and ask some questions if unsure before plunking the money down.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    The 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 film holders are for a different film format, but their outer dimension is the same as a 5x7" holder. You will have to get some 5x7" holders (or cut film to 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 size). The 5x7", 13x18 cm, 12,5x16 cm and the 6 1/2 x 4 3/4" film holders share the same outer dimension, but one has to fit the right size film to each one of them ...

Sellers sometimes get the sizes mixed up (been on the receiving end, getting oddball stuff), so it pays to check any photos thoroughly and ask some questions if unsure before plunking the money down.
    I can't see any 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 film for sale anywhere so I'll make up a jig to cut 5x7 film to size. How long since 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 film was made?

I did a check on ebay and noticed a few ads for "5 x 7" holders which on closer inspection are the same as mine. Must have been a common size once?

I wonder if a Cambo bellows would fit. I know the ends are different but bellows dimensions sure look close. I might ask an ebay seller to get out a ruler for 69 bucks. Just me. The folks in England make beautiful bellows. I have one on my 5X12.

I can't see any 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 film for sale anywhere...
    Ilford offers that size as part of its annual special-order program for less-common sheet film sizes. Orders are taken in the spring and delivered in early fall.

Between here and there

I did a check on ebay and noticed a few ads for "5 x 7" holders which on closer inspection are the same as mine. Must have been a common size once?
    Probably. From my experience, at least the plastic (Lisco, Fidelity) 12x16.5, 13x18 and 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 holders are marked with their actual size in white lettering.

Try some paper negatives for a start, it's cheaper than "wasting" film sheets when you start out and you can cut it in the darkroom with safety lights on.
    Last edited by Jimi; 19-Feb-2020 at 12:41.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."